Design computer or 2

@winegummo Some VHS t-shirts?

3 Likes

great idea!

i did also offer to buy them pancakes if they stopped by for a visit on tuesday. Oh crap! What if the whole company shows up and orders megawatt pancakes? i really should of thought that offer through a bit more. lol

1 Like

We should wish them well in the upcoming spring planting season by sending them 9000 live ladybugs

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Ladybugs-Ladybug-Cycle-Poster/dp/B00I0EBO5I/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=ladybugs+live&qid=1582171219&sr=8-2

I believe we can get Amazon to have them packed in plain brown gift paper so as not to ruin the wonderful surprise

1 Like

Live crickets are also always an excellent gift. :wink:

But srsly we could send them a care package of a couple of shirts and something lasercut with there logo or something.

1 Like

We can heat press some Tshirts for sure.

We can invite them over to play some large screen SNES games. That would make a good video for their channel.

3 Likes

Send them a cupcake??
https://wiki.hackerspaces.org/Global_Hackerspace_Cupcake_Challenge_2012

I’d love to start this up again. It was a blast last time.

2 Likes

dropped off the case and power supply today. Also gave them a couple of VHS shirts and some promo cards. They say they may have it built and delivered back to us within the week. I invited them to come take a tour of the space and let them know we have a jumbo tron. We’ll see what becomes of it. If nothing else we will have a new design computer.

Linus’s cat was named Rocket. should we name this computer Rocket?

5 Likes

Amazing! Thanks for doing that and spreading the word about VHS. I had no idea they were also building it for us. Yes! Let’s call it Rocket.

4 Likes

For the record, I think the computer should not use an HDD as opposed to an SSD unless truly necessary because an HDD seems like Yet Another drive failure just waiting to happen. I still have not recovered from the last HDD failure in my company/family, which was a 2-TB HDD in a computer that is part of my company but lives in my home because it is used for an off-site backup using the automated backup system I created for my company, even though the HDD failed in early December because the 2-TB SSD I bought to replace the failed HDD also seems to have failed soon after I began using it. The SSD is a KingSpec SSD bought on AliExpress. It is a long story but I think this will be both the first and last time I buy anything on AliExpress and it may be the last time I buy a KingSpec product even though I have been using KingSpec SSDs since around 2014 without knowingly having a problem until now. I considered starting a topic here to ask about this failed SSD but I never do it because I am always spread too thin.

Update 2020‑04‑27: Trying to contact the KingSpec Global Store on AliExpress seemed like a dead end because they seemed to never read my messages but they did eventually read my messages and reply. I mailed the failed drive back to them and they confirmed that they received it so now I am waiting on them again. So maybe this will not be the last time I buy anything on AliExpress. I do still have some complaints about AliExpress, though: the messaging system kept rejecting my messages apparently because of a false positive of the filter/censor until I broke my message into many small parts to find the part the filter disliked; and apparently I receive no notification when I receive a new message so I have to remember to keep checking the messages on the AliExpress Web site to see if I have a new message. I do not use any native application from AliExpress nor AliBaba but maybe I would receive a notification upon receiving a new message if I did but this aspect of AliExpress seems very primitive compared to eBay, which automatically sends messages sent via eBay to the receiving eBay user via email.

If you are designing using fusion 360 all the info is stored in the cloud so that isnt really that big a deal.

1 Like

the new computer has artived at the space and its beautiful.

we do need an OS for it and the cd drive is not currently hooked up. it came with the case so for now its just a cup holder.

big thanks to linus media group for doing this for us.

btw
we are good to call the machine ‘‘Rocket’’

8 Likes

the machine has both SSD and HDD. No ones personal files should really be stored on it so if it crashes. all we will lose is software and setting which can be easily replaced.

3 Likes

Amazing thanks so much @winegummo for making this happen. We’ll definitely have to do a shout out on social media as thanks.

Keep the HDD in.
What is the purpose of this machine? If it’s for CAD, then there may very well be personal project files on it. Yes, it’s always best to have a backup elsewhere, but from one day to the next, I don’t expect people to go in and randomly start deleting files.

(Remember, not everyone is using F360)

2 Likes

The new computer has an OS on it now. Currently its set up under my name so we will have to change that once we are back in the space full time. I’ll install Fusion 360 and other software when we get back as well.

Both computers are currently running folding@home software. I figured since we won’t be there for a bit, the computers may as well help with crunching some numbers. If any of you do end up at the space over the next while. please don’t turn off these machines.

we’ve joined the linus techtips team.

6 Likes

This whole thread has been a wild ride and I like it so much

1 Like

@jim this is so excellent. Thanks for making all that happen and for getting foldingathome going on there.

2 Likes

If you need expertise with setting either of these computers for computer vision / machine learning let me know. I would be glad to help and maybe do a course as well.

VHS qualifies as a teaching institution for many software licenses.

2 Likes

I picked up an 8 GB workstation card, only to realize we have a 980 TI, not and 980. :frowning:
So even though it’s only got 6GB VRAM right now, it bench marks way better than the Quadro K5200 i picked up.
With your permission, @winegummo, i would still like to benchmark the two for comparison someday.

also thanks for putting Win 10 on it before i got a chance to.

i gots no problems with you bench marking them at all. Did you pick up the 5200 for the space? or for personal? cause… the other design machine only has a 750 ti in it. :slight_smile:

np over the install.Ii had to set it up with my microsoft account but it really should be in VHS’s name. all its running right now is folding @ home so its not a big deal if we need to wipe out that install and replace it with a VHS one.