Design computer or 2

at home i run an 5 year old i5 with 24gb ram and a rd570 4gb. It has no problem with F360. mind you most of my assemblies or parts are on 1-10 components.

@Billiam i won’t upgrade the SWX computer. maybe all it needs is some storage cleaning.

1 Like

I also run Fusion360 on an old timey i5 with a crap integrated video card and 16 GB of RAM. It is gud.

1 Like

At least for Windows, F360 actually uses DirectX, gaming cards are actually great for it.

1 Like

Def storage cleaning. My past approach may not work though: Install new HDD, reinstall Windows, reinstall software.

(Eventually) I’m going to see about getting an update on SWX. There is the educational edition, and one available to military (current / reserve / former) for $20 / year… New SWX means a new computer though. The current one is a Q6600 (2007 ish vintage).

1 Like

@SteveRoy i set up the machine today and loaded f360 on it. i swapped out your 9600gt and put your card in the drop box in case you wanted that back. i forgot to bring down a hdd so I’ll pop that in next time.

i still need to find 50ft of ethernet cable but if we dont have any at the space, ill just buy some.

thanks again for this. i think its going to work perfectly.

2 Likes

@winegummo Glad to hear the i5 will work for f360. I can make a patch cable if needed. I have ends and crimps etc and can do it Tuesday when I am down.

3 Likes

that would be great! thanks

Just realized i have friday off work so i can come in and install the line then.

1 Like

@winegummo I left the patch cable in the dropbox

1 Like

thanks steve

Assuming that SWX means SolidWorks in this context, SolidWorks still runs on Core 2 CPUs as far as I know but I guess you mean you expect the performance to be too low with a Core 2 era computer.

I recommend WinDirStat for visualising and analysing usage of space in a file system on Windows. Yes, the current release is from 2007 but it still seems to work fine on Windows 10 for x86-64 for me.

From Linus tech tips:
Hey Jim,

First of all I’d like to apologize for taking so long to get back to you. My intention was to reply to you within a week with a list of all the hardware we’d be able to donate, but due to a massive internal audit and inventory restructure putting together that list has been harder than expected. Before I knew it almost a month had gone by. So sorry for that.

On to your request. We’d love to be able to help you out. Part of the inventory audit that’s prevented me from contacting you sooner involves selling off a lot of older hardware that we don’t foresee a need for anymore. We should be able to just earmark a portion of what we were going to sell and gift it to you instead. If it would be possible to get a receipt or have you sign an invoice for tax purposes that would be greatly appreciated. Additionally, if you could narrow in a bit more on what sort of processor you had in mind that would be very helpful, otherwise I will just use my best judgement.

So sorry again for the delay, and assuming you are still looking for a donation we should be able to put together a final list of what we have available within a few days. I would be very surprised if we could not check off all your boxes.

Regards,

Tyler

3 Likes

question for the BOD. Tyler is asking if we can sign the invoice for their tax purposes. Is that something i can sign myself or should it come from a member of the BOD?

i have replied to him with a sort of rough wish list. Not sure what exactly we will get but every little bit will help.

Usually when people ask that, they’re assuming that we are a registered charity and can sign receipts for tax write-offs - That leads to an uncomfortable conversation where we explain that non-profits are not the same thing and we can’t do that.

I think that not-charity-style non-profit might be unique to Canada, leading to that confusion. Not sure though

2 Likes

ahhhh… ok ill let him know. having said that. if they are still into it and still needs a signature. should that be from the BOD?

from Linus Media Group:
Yeah, it’s funny you mention that because I was just talking to our accountant this morning and he was saying that due to the circumstances in which we aquired most of our hardware we actually can’t use it as a tax write off anyway. It doesn’t change anything on our end, we’re still willing to donate a full build, it just would have been extra nice if we had been able to claim it. Regardless, I’ve put together a list of hardware we can send over to you and I’m just waiting on Linus to sign off on it. He’s a busy man but I’m hoping he’ll be able to approve it tomorrow. I’ll be in touch. Cheers.

10 Likes

Oh, that’s super cool

Yes super Cool. You are working with the Linus Media Group:

latest reply from LMG

Just got approval from Linus, this is what we can send over:

CPU: i7-7700T

Cooler: Intel stock cooler

Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE

Video Card: GeForce 980 Ti

Memory: 16 GB DDR4

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD

Let me know if this works for you and we can arrange to get it built!

6 Likes

Any thoughts on how to best thank you to these guys?

2 Likes