Design computer or 2

hi All

I’d like to put together a computer or two that are capable of running fusion 360. I’m wondering ifbetween all of us if we have enough parts.

here’s what i am thinking of for a modest machine.
i5 quad 1.7ghz
8gb ram
2gb vid, direct x11,
2 tb hd

currently I have a 750ti vid card, 2 2TB HD, a case and power supply to donate.

1 Like

AMD is really hot these days. I’ve always been team red to be honest.

1 Like

the reason i have the 750 is because i just bought a radeon :grin:

1 Like

oh. i guess i should clarify. these are computers for VHS.

1 Like

Moved to Space and infrastructure.

On a related note, there’s a few machines in the ops room with an unknown state. I’ll ping you (@winegummo) on Slack about this.

1 Like

Pinging @JohnC also as he bought those machines in which are setup with Ubuntu and a few hard drives. I think those are also what @tyisi is referring to. If so - keep on rocking.

Yeah I brought those in for people to use for any space-related projects.

1 Like

@winegummo I have an i5 with 8gb ram and small ssd hard drive if it’s needed. I had it on Craigslist but am tired of all the flakes lowballing me on it. I can bring it down tonight

2 Likes

steve that would be great! brian says he also has one. that would make two f360 machines. perfect for when a couple of people need access to CAD. does it need a graphics card upgrade? i also have 2 tb hd we can put in it for storage.

2 Likes

@winegummo It has an older graphics card. I’ll leave it at the space tonight and you can check it’s specs. It has a fresh install of Windows 10 but it’s not activated yet. I do have a COA though.

3 Likes

thanks Steve.I’ll play with it on saturday

2 Likes

It’s in the server room with your name on it

3 Likes

I donated a decent radeon GPU that should be at the space (admin cabinet last I saw). Feel free to use it for that purpose.

2 Likes

thanks mike. i have one as well to bring in. I’m hoping we can get at least 2 machines up and running with F360. (more would be better). I just want to have one at the space for CAM but haveing more might make it easier for people to offer f360 training

2 Likes

If you are building machines, one thing that might be nice is to see if we can get the PCOIP cards working. But that’s just a ++.

I would love to imagine a world where we can bring up any of our machines on the projector or the nice monitor, or even in a workshop for reference.

2 Likes

We also have that cintiq tablet that Mimi brought in. Hooking that up to a dedicated machine would be awesome.

1 Like

Re: video cards. I don’t know if Fu360 has specific requirements, but I know that SWX does. Gaming cards are not good for cad. I’d stick with Quadro cards.

Fusion has a different kernel then SW. I run Fusion on gaming Laptops and PC’s with no issues until I get to assemblies with 1000’s of components. My current Shop laptop has a 1060 6gb discreet video card in it and it’s been great. I’m more CAD heavy then Modelling, but it does the job for both. Also with Fusion if you are doing some resource intensive calculations like generative design or simulations, you can do those in the cloud to free up your machine for other work.

Good info. SWX also doesn’t use multiple cores, so the biggest, baddest I9 isn’t needed.

Mobile 7th gen i7 with the 1060 and happy happy. The desk top in our shop that is mostly simple CAM work is running i7 6700 16GB ram with a GTX 960 with 2gb and it runs fine for what we are doing.