Cutting Board Workshops - December 2022

Hey All

I’ll be offering up a few Cutting Board workshops over the next few weeks. The workshop is designed for beginners and it will give you some guided experience using several mainstay tools in the woodshop. You will use the Miter Saw, Planer/Jointer, Tablesaw, A Router (handheld or table), and Orbital sanders as part of the workshop in a supervised environment. You will get a chance to work with some domestic and exotic hardwoods all while designing something you can take home and use for years to come. I have shown some of the work done by prior members in this workshop on our instagram page if you are interested in seeing what is possible. Phillip Ma on Instagram: "Cuttingboard workshops are now open to the public for the month of December. For more information check out the discussion on Vancouver hackspace's Community Message Board. or DM us directly. https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/cutting-board-workshops-december-2022/13726"

This is a two day workshop. To attend the workshop i’ve set specific dates to work as Day 1 and Day 2 to try and make things a bit easier to manage. Each day runs about 3-4 hours depending on the number of participants. If you are interested please reply below and let me know what dates/times work out best for you.

Tasks done during the workshop

Day 1:

• Design and plan out your cutting board and cuts.
  • Cut rough sawn lumber to rough size.
  • Tool orientation on Jointer/Planer and Tablesaw.
  • Square up the lumber and cut workpieces.
  • Glue up your pieces.

Day 2:

• jointer/planer refresh when flattening the boards
  • Tablesaw refresher to square up your cutting board
  • Route edges around the perimeter of the cutting board
  • Sanding, Sanding, Sanding
  • Grain Pop, Cleanup Break, Instructions on Finishing Steps.
  • One quick final Sanding

Dates for the workshop:

Day 1 dates:

• December 5 - 5pm: 0 of 3 spots available
  • December 9 - 4:30pm: 2 of 3 spots available ** new timeslot
  • December 12 - 4:30pm: 0 of 4 spots available
  • December 14 - 4:30pm: 0 of 3 spots available for VHS members.

Day 2 dates:

• December 11 - 11am: 0 of 3 spot available
  • December 16 - 4:30pm: 2 of 3 spots available ** new timeslot
  • December 19 - 4:30pm: 0 of 4 spots available
  • December 17- 11am: 0 of 3 spots available for VHS members

Pricing:

Type of person Previously Oriented on the Tablesaw and Planer Jointer? Cost
VHS Member Yes 80.00
VHS Member No 130.00 - 50 dollars donated back to the hackspace on your behalf as part of the training/orientation.
Non VHS Member No 150.00 - 70 dollars donated back to the hackspace. If they become members they will be considered oriented on the Tablesaw and Jointer/Planer
3 Likes

Cool. Sign me up please!

Dec 14th and 17th please.

VHS member.

2 Likes

@3bien has reserved some times on December 5th and 11th.

1 Like

Hey I’d also love to be in on the 14th and 17th - VHS member. I have been trained on the tablesaw, jointer/planer but I have not used one in some time and also have not been checked out on the sawstop so happy to do the second option/pay for further training/checkout (i.e. whatever is deemed necessary which is probably the whole sausage).

2 Likes

Sign me up. Looks like the only availabe spot is the 14 and 17.
I’m assuming this will check me out on the tools?
VHS member but not trained on the VHS tools.

3 Likes

Yes - If you haven’t been checked off on the tools going through this process will check you off on the Jointer/planer and the table saw. It will not however check you off on the lathe, thickness sander or the dusty our beloved wood cnc.

And for what it’s worth if you are looking to get checked off on those tools without having to run through this cutting board workshop. @macintoshsj and I are around regularly enough to help you out with that or you can also contact @Reuben or @yeungx.

If there are at least two other members interested i can try and find some additional time to fit at least one more set of sessions into my schedule before Christmas but i will add some additional dates in January and beyond.

1 Like

In your case @Janet i think we can forego training fees since it will be more like a refresher session for yourself. We will still go over all the safety items with everyone just to be sure we at least have a common baseline in each group.

1 Like

Dang I missed this! Love your method of offering ‘Day1’ and ‘Day2’ rather than fixed course dates, but don’t like that I didn’t see it in time to get any dates at all!

Until next time, then, and I hope it’s a huge success!

find one more person to jump in and i’ll open up another set of dates - likely on friday evenings. I’ll probably lose a bit of my own sanity but thats OK.

1 Like

Me, I’m game and would love to!!

@omid @Imagesurgery i’ve added two dates for the friday. These are the absolutely last two slots i have free for this workshop but i promise i’ll run some more in the new year. December 9th and 16th for days 1 and 2 respectively. Please confirm.

1 Like

I confirm!

What are the times on those dates? So i can put it in my calendar?! =)

Thank you!!

4:30 pm Both days.

I’d absolutely love to join, but can only do so if someone both kindly and of their own free will is able/willing to switch their 12 or 14 Dec dates with the available 9 Dec, which I can’t do because of work. The day 2 option on 16 Dec is perfect.

@Imagesurgery we can squeeze you into the 14th session.

But that’s it. I’m Booked out.

I’ll do another set of workshops towards the end of January/Early February in time for Valentines Day.

1 Like

Truly happy to wait, but also truly happy to come as long as it doesn’t inconvenience anyone by being over-subscribed.

Let me know, I’ll either be there or not :slight_smile:

Not to worry - Other sessions have 4 people and initially the gating factor on group size was the number of orbital sanders we had available. I’ve bought 2 so that i can facilitate a group of 4.

1 Like

Awesome! Then I’m in, and I can bring my sander as well if it helps :smile_cat:

I also have a random orbital with a filter on it that I can bring with me if needed. @Phillip_Ma appreciate you investing in some so you can run these workshops. They bring a lot to the space and are really appreciated.