Cutting Board Workshops - December 2022

Actually i needed to buy one for home, and another friend has volunteered to buy the second off from me after the workshop series. I have one already on loan to the hackspace plus the mirka we crowd funded. On a somewhat related note, John C’s dewalt battery powered ROS is currently Missing in Action. If anyone knows its whereabouts it would be good to know.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that about JohnC’s dwalt. If you slap up a post with a photo I’ll link to it from announcements on slack.

I don’t exactly remember what model it was but it probably looks something like this. It does have @JohnC 's name on it

1 Like

Hi, i’ve been off on my timing all week, and it’s been annoying. So this might sound silly, but…

Can i confirm that we are meeting today at the vhs for 4:30 for the workshop?

And then is there anything i need to bring other than myself?

Thanks!!

Hey Phillip, if there are any cancellations for a Saturday workshop, lemme know !

yes. Izzy and I are here and will get started shortly

You should do that for sure.

I got a call from a client an hour ago that was urgent and hoping it would be quick did not make it so.

I should be out of here any moment, but don’t wait for me, i’ll do what i need to, etc… hopefully that means i can join in shortly, but it might mean i miss the slot and pay the workshop fee anyways, and that would be what i would be happy to do.

Of course still, in that case, i took a spot someone elses couldn’t take, no illusion, there is a loss and impact, but yeah….

You should definiely start and i hope to be there shortly anyways at least to cheer you’all on…?!

The schedule is pretty full right now but I’ll be running this workshop again in January. Likely January 21 and 28th. Nothing set in stone quite yet but i’ll make another post when i do confirm some dates on my end.

1 Like

This workshop probably doesn’t need validation, but I just wanted to point out that this is an awesome workshop (just finished my board yesterday). For VHS members it’s a sweet deal, you get to learn (or refresh your knowledge) on 3 super useful machines, and end up with a very nice cutting board (hopefully Phillip can post some of the pictures he took). Thanks a lot Phillip!

5 Likes

Photos are up on my instagram: Phillip Ma on Instagram: "The First group of our cutting board workshop finished their first boards today. They did a great job all around. We are fully booked for the month of December but we will be having some dates in the new year! Come try this workshop @vanhackspace . it's a 2 day workshop where you will learn some basic woodworking skills."

2 Likes

speaking of I thought this was kinda cool. Cutting Board Designer JS

Thanks Everyone for participating in this Workshop Series. The last sessions run today but I have collected from just about every participant to this point and I’ll be putting forward a donation to VHS for the training and non-member fees shortly.

In summary we raised 665 dollars for this workshop for the Hack space! I’ve spoken with @winegummo and requested these funds be earmarked towards building some additional dust collection for the space in the wood shop though how that is allocated is to be determined at a later time. I think this would be a good improvement for users in the wood shop and has some benefit to all members in the space.

Of note @Imagesurgery made his payment directly via E transfer to the Hack Space and i have adjusted my donation to offset my costs on the workshop (time and materials) and my actual donation will be 585.

Thanks to all the members taking this on and spreading the good word and those who were patient with putting off some projects as we ran through the workshop series. Today’s the last formal session so it should be back to regular activities in the Wood shop starting tomorrow.

5 Likes