Building a "stealth" shell for a Sumo robot

Hi hackers,

I have a shiny new Zumo 32U4 robot (Pololu - Zumo 32U4 OLED Robot) that will be in a Sumo Robot competition with others of the same kind,

It uses infrared proximity sensors, so I’d like to build a shell for it that reflects as little infrared as possible.

Technical trivia: IR sensors data sheet: https://www.pololu.com/file/0J683/GP2S60_DS.pdf

Sensitivity range 800-1000, peak around 950 nm, Sensors only detect at 38KHz frequency.

Any suggestions for material that absorbs infrared light at this frequency?

2 Likes

Would covering it in small mirrors at different angles mess up any incoming IR?

I like Janet’s idea. This is why stealth aircraft are all flat surfaces and hard angles - reflections don’t return toward their sources.

In terms of a material, think of how a retroreflector works. Little cells of three reflective surfaces at 90 degrees to each other, so incoming light is reflected almost directly back to the source. For your case case what you might want is the funhouse version of a retroreflector, where angles are off enough that light almost never goes back toward its source. I don’t know where you could buy a material like that, though, and it seems tricky to make.

Alternately, if you could just buy some Vantablack, it would pretty much solve your problem.

3 Likes

Hmmm…this is interesting. All-carbon solar cell harnesses infrared light | MIT News | Massachusetts Institute of Technology

I guess I’m wondering what solar cell material absorbs IR?

haha, Genius!
you can then literally absorb your enemies’ power

I can’t stop thinking about this. What about live plants? Do algae absorb IR?

Stealth aircraft use Radar Absorbent Materials, but reflection is being used as a secondary means of dispersal.

Using a ribbed material coated with Krylon 1602 flat black seems to be the way to go for maximum absorption, as that should be able to absorb the infrared and then dissipate the resulting heat better, plus the ribs will bounce off any excess light and increase further absorption.

Or, you could use your own “rogue” randomly pulse broadcast source to confuse their own sensors!
(But this might also confuse your own detection sensors)

…Like a bullfighters cape, a hot bulb on a stick. That would be funny. (Modulated at 38k of course)

If you modulate it sufficiently, one might be able to use the refraction of reflections

Yes but then the counter strategy would employ frequency hopping, which is probably happening as we write…

Blackened (with soot) copper body shell. IR is heat…

Also, between your own transmission/reflection pickup, blast the entire environment with as-powerful-as-allowed IR lasers… If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance via reflection, of baffle them with sharp angles, then blast them with bombs…

1 Like

Ooooh, I like this! Just fry the other’s sensors!

1 Like

Yeah, those are called ‘eyes’. Mount the laser tube on your sumo bot and people are likely to get suspicious.

I am curious what copper and soot would do, though.

Absorb IR radiation as heat via the soot "natural property, the copper to reabsorb the heat from the soot layer and spread it so as to diminish the heat signature of the robot.

I am shooting from the hip* here but it might be worth a shot.

*h.i.p.:“hazardous innovation preconception”

While hopefully not frying the retina of the puny human observers… Safety From Lawsuit First.

I think wearing the welding glasses would be a dead giveaway.

Sorry, I get the mechanism. I’m just curious to see in practice how well it would perform with small, cheap bots & sensors. It sounds like it might work, and the build wouldn’t be that difficult.

Maybe not, considering what is accepted as “fashion statement” these days. And you can mount a lot of electronics on a pair of welding google, just in case the IR laser already mounted on the robot is not “surgically precise” enough…

Darn, I just realized that I might just be a villain, in the world of mad scientists… Oh well…

2 Likes

Thin copper sheeting is available at Metal Supermarkets (is that what this chain called?) and once the 'bot is “sheeted up”, you just rotate it over a few smoky candles until black.

Truly a cheap hack, I think.

Easy to test on the bench as well, a piece of copper clad board and a candle. Test with a TV remote?