Awesome Youtube Maker Series

On Slack, we were discussing some youtube series that are awesome makers.
So that more people can get exposure (and so we can contribute more) I’m starting this thread. If you add a link, please give a brief description.

Lately I’ve been watching the following the following:

Mathias Wandel - https://www.youtube.com/user/Matthiaswandel (also www.woodgears.ca ).
Mathias is an ex-RIM engineer with a woodworking background that will often make a tool to make the thing he’s making. He’s inspired many people to make their own powertools. Mathias also sells a bunch of plans for various tools he’s built on his channels.

Marius Hornberger - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn7lavsPdVGV0qmEEBT6NyA
Marius is a basement woodworker with a hacking spirit. He’s actually built one of Mathias’ bandsaws and does a lot of fun work with his camera. He literally works in his parent’s basement, which adds interesting constraints to some of his projects.

There were others mentioned, but I’m new to them, so I’ll let others respond and do briefings.

2 Likes

Mostly electronics stuff:

3 Likes

More people that make and/or take apart and explain stuff:

Applied Science (Ben Krasnow) - random very neat stuff
mikeselectricstuff (Mike Harrison) - LED-related stuff, lots of clever hacks
The Signal Path (Shahriar Shahramian) - RF and test equipment teardowns, guy is a PhD and very educational, pretty high level. Works at Bell/Alcatel on high-speed IC design.
tesla500 (dunno his name but he’s local) - random stuff, e-vehicles, high-speed camera development…
Practical Engineering - (Grady Hillhouse) - quick videos on civil engineering, high production value and good demos
ROBRENZ - (Robin Renzetti) - Precision machining stuff, got hooked after his custom made ultimate kelvin clips. Can be a dry presenter but the projects are cool and he has a lot of knowledge to impart.
oxtoolco - (Tom Lipton) - All machining but I like his presentation style, and he works at Berkeley Labs, so the tidbits of interest are plentiful in many of his videos.

3 Likes

Most of my list is already posted above, but I will add…

• Frank Howarth - Woodworking (lathe turning, some CNC) with incredible production values. Lots of stop motions with foley sound effects, time lapse with motion automation, etc.

• BigCliveDotCom - takes apart cheap stuff from ebay/aliexpress and reviews them.

• The Engineer Guy (Bill Hammack) - well-produced videos by a professional science lecturer. Don’t miss the “Fareday’s Chemical History of a Candle” series.

• lukecyca - My own channel! I started posting videos of some of the stuff you all see me working on at hackspace. Trying desperately to do decently high production values, but it takes so much time so not sure how long I’ll keep this up. Comment, like, and subscribe to cheer me on, won’t you?

4 Likes

tesla500 is David Kronstein - His kickstarter will be getting going in a week or so here for his high speed camera. It’s AWESOME!!!

There’s a guy who put a 1kw LED on a multicopter - I understand they’re local as well but I don’t have any more information yet.

Gerry Sweeney

Previous related thread:

Been meaning to get back to his.

One of my favourites is Laura Kampf. Just chill, short metal/wood projects with interesting concepts.

Cody from Cody’s Lab is super awkward sometimes, but also completely bonkers. Watch the progression from “Oh this is kinda cool” to “this guy is crazy” to “are you serious” in this video.

Clickspring hasn’t been mentioned in this thread yet. Gorgeous manual machining of brass, with great production values. He’s just finished a year-long clock series, so it’s a good time to get on board.

This Old Tony is a pretty entertaining garage machinist.

Stefan Gotteswinter is a different style of home machinist with stereotypical German precision obsessions. He’s long-winded, so I find watching at 1.5x keeps me engaged.

And finally, for some reason I just found myself watching 30 minutes of some dude building an aquarium.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.