Looking for people and groups to follow

I realized that my twitter/g+/rss is very lacking in makers/hackers, I’d love some suggestions for some high-quality blogs and follows.

I’m primarily interested in people who show off projects and discuss their craft more than anything else, but talk about new items, industry commentary, events, and so forth are cool too. :smile: Feel free to suggest yourself!

Some of my favourites. Mostly nerdy stuff, not so much “maker” stuff. :).

Ben Krasnow / Applied Science @BenKrasnow / https://www.youtube.com/user/bkraz333
Ben does lots of neat science experiments in his garage. He’s built a scanning-electron microscope, experimented with vacuum deposition, building a ruby laser, and he drives a DeLorean.

Mike of Mike’s Electric Stuff @mikelectricstuf / https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcs0ZkP_as4PpHDhFcmCHyA
Mike does neat installation projects (LEDs mostly, it seems, some pretty high profile stuff e.g. he did part of a big piece in Heathrow). His channel is mostly teardowns of interesting electromechanical gadgets and discussion of interesting solutions to problems he runs into doing his installations. Clearly very knowledgable and I learn a lot from his commentary. Pretty sure he’s mostly self-taught.

@tesla5hundred / https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMdOWi6nBZJ3Q0tHNQIOUVA
Don’t know his name, but he’s from Vancouver. Doesn’t post much, was originally a lot of electric car stuff, now some teardowns and projects. He’s working on a custom highspeed camera right now.

There are a lot of others I follow in the same vein, but these are the best and whose content I most look forward to. If they float your boat I can suggest some more.

1 Like

+1 on the above, plus:

EEVblog The videos are interesting, but the forum is a gold mine.

DangerousPrototypes A meta-blog, great source of Shenzhen information, buying from China, and tool reviews.

HackADay Meta-blog, with interesting projects and contests.

I also sign up for all the vendor’s newsletters. They show up very frequently with app-notes and new products. I filter them into a separate mail folder that I review when I’m bored.

Edit: It doesn’t quite meet your requirements, but I have good laughs watching PhotonicInduction experiments with High Voltage/Amperes (not neccessarily at the same time). It has been rather quiet since he got married, but there are about 100 vids worth watching when you are looking for a laugh.

A better link to Mike’s Electric Stuff videos, and he also has a blog: Mike’s Electric Stuff

1 Like

My favourite personal blogs of exceptional makers:

Homo Ludens (“playing human”) - I first found his amazing micro hydro electric build, but his electronics, free flying, and secluded home projects are not to be missed.

Michal Zalewski - prolific in computer security, but also an accomplished robot maker. He’s written extensively about resin-casting and CNC.

Pavel Růžička - lots of well-documented electronics builds with a slight focus on audio. All-around neat guy.

Dmitry Grinberg - posts about electronics, software, and flying! I enjoy his reverse-engineering of OTP tokens.

Matthias Wandel - best known for woodgears.ca, but has some other neat projects too. Canadian. Check out his homemade CD-changing robot.

1 Like

I find the Adafruit blog to be a good source of all things maker - I dislike the hashtags everywhere but I think I’m showing my age…

I read it via RSS.

Moved this over to this list as its a better place for it. I’ve been on a Youtube bender and I’ve come across some channels which seem to be really useful, or really Awesome

Make Magazine Videos: Yes those guys. Some great how to videos on tools like Tap & Die’s

Metal working:
Clickspring: Some really good information for lathe and milling. And Fantastic production quality.

Cutting Tools Explained.

Electronics
BigClivedotcom: Guy does a lot of tear downs and shows how crappy some things are especially from ebay.
This is one showing how to spot crappy High watt LED chips

Just incredible Awesome Makes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvUU8joBb1Q&list=PLBM3npXwmos31ZRe9QiKxVI4V1410ggS3 -Yes its a real machine I watched it several times to be sure its not a really really good 3d animation…

1 Like

For 3D printerers

This video has a good explanation of how the way a 3D printer prints effects the strength oh your models. Important to understand if your design is going to be under any stress.

2 Likes

How Nixie tubes are made (By apparently the only person still making them?)

3 Likes

New and Improved computer vision and its open source.

1 Like

Those nixie tubes are brilliant. The video is awesome by itself as well, I could not get my eyes off!

How computer learn to recognize objects… Note to myself: re-model all MY objects so as to be unrecognizable by sentient AI’s… That includes my wardrobe. Amputation and cyborg-nisation might become necessary, cool!

1 Like

Okay this is really cool research being done by Disney. Yes I know, but still its really cool.

There doesn’t seem to be any public tools to do the calculations but they did publish a paper on it so if someone with good math skills wants a programming challenge you can challenge yourself… Yeah not really any practical purpose but hey we never let that stop us before.

Can Fusion 360 do any of this motion studies yet? I’ll happily switch to it from Solidworks as soon as it can. Its too important to my work to not have.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s really cool! Thanks for sharing! I took a quick look at the
paper, unfortunately I couldn’t find anything on available code or
libraries, I guess that’s the Disney effect… The math looks non-trivial,
although not necessarily super hard, I could go over it with you if you’re
interested. Since it’s a 2013 paper it might be worth it to search it in
google scholar and find the papers that reference it, and maybe someone
actually released usable software…

1 Like

List of articles that cite the original: http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2461953

There are some interesting sounding ones referring to papercraft…

A couple relevant links after some digging:

http://www.ehu.eus/compmech/software/

Not quite the same, however, as these are more forward kinematic exploration tools rather than design tools. (I.e. Figure out the curve for a given mechanism rather than the inverse)

2 Likes

Also check out strandbeest.com
As well as having created a lot of designs, he has published on some algorithms for computing part dimensions.

Neat stuff, gears, laser cutting, gears, and cool gears.

Okay these are awesome.

Done on a CNC but I’m sure it could also be done on the Laser. Gives me a couple ideas anyways

I want this box!!

Please let me know when we have the laser cut pattern.

So I bought the plans for the briefcase size. I’ll rework it to fit the laser. Shouldn’t be too much work.

I’ll work out the material costs if anyone wants a set of parts.

Okay this is a very neat way to mount circuits onto plastic with a laser cutter and chemical bath