2015 classes and workshops

I could talk to my business partner to sew if we could host the welding
workshop. We have 220 and three phase depending on the welders brought out.

3 Likes

I read that as that we were tracking the classes as Git issues… FML

I have run the Laser cutting maps, and Stencil making workshop.

The next one will be either wheat pasting or reading sensors with an Arduino (For the DIY Bio people)

What workshops can you run?
What workshops do you want to see at VHS?

1 Like

I would love to see a workshop for KiCad, lots of interest for it just need someone to host.

If we can’t find someone to actually host then perhaps a night where we all run through some tutorials together and help each other out.

2 Likes

I am still working on blowing Lego Astronaut model up to 2’ tall so we can
do a group build papercraft day, but that will be in the near-ish future.

After that I’ll be doing a chainmaille jewelry series

2 Likes

I’ll run a light painting night on the 26th.

4 Likes

I will run a thought screen helmet workshop later this year if there is any interest. This location in general seems a lot better for block signals than the Bunker was, though.

@Logan_Buchy needs one to protect him from @iMakeRobots

(https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/2015-04-02-19-00-onshape-night/1762/4?u=miststlkr)

If I overcome my latest sickness and get the board designs finished soon, I’ll run an APC kit build similar to the one I did at 45 West for the Vancouver New Music festival. These are cool little sound generators that are named after the 8 bit glory of the Atari consoles. Suitable for beginners. Typically, these are housed in an Altoids tin, but you can get very creative and have a lot of fun with the cases.

IF that goes well, I may at some point run a more complicated Ibanez Tube Screamer kit build very similar to this one on Instructables. I already have the boards and the majority of the electronic parts. I’m going to do a test build first, then I’ll set something up. This would likely be a multi-session build. The Tube Screamer is a guitar effect pedal, similar to an overdrive pedal.

6 Likes

I have been asking new and old people what they would like to see as a workshop at VHS. Its a great question to ask new people when they enter.

• Intro to different types of databases advantages and disadvantages of each, where you would use them, etc…

• Growing plants indoors, lights, food, what can you grow.

• Robot platform, 4 wheels and a few sensors.

• More Arduino workshops

• Making Guitar pedals

• Scratch

• Origami

• Advance Laser cutting tutorials

• Solid works, or other CAD programs.

“Home automation with the Rasberry PI” Seems pretty interesting. Too bad I can’t think of any thing to teach in return…

Bump, @miststlkr how about a chain mail workshop? It would make great gifts for a certain upcoming gift giving season.

First off, Thank you to @miststlkr, @ninetynein, @garthomite, @Gibbtall, @Jarrett, @laftho (hackathon), @KevMacD, @seanhagen, @Janet, @iMakeRobots, @rsim (secret workshops), @TomKeddie , for running workshops or events at VHS over the last year. Attending workshops is one of my best things about VHS.

Some of the workshops and events I have run this year.

What is stopping YOU from running a workshop at VHS? How can we help you run a workshop?
What workshop would you like to see at VHS?

I would love a deeper understanding of these topics.

OMG yes, I would love to learn more about all things CNC.

How can I help you get this going? Is it a supply problem or a up front cash problem.? How can I help you make this happen at VHS?

There has been huge requests for this over the year. Anything i can do to help you with running this workshop?

This was popular last time you ran it if I remember correctly. Lots of people liked it and it would make a good gift for the upcoming gift giving season.

It sounds like @pesk might help you with the Sewing 101 class too.

Great workshop, simple to run and has a huge appeal to beginners.

I know two people that would sign up for this right now. it could also bring in a whole new crowd of people.

A lot of us are working on projects that we want to one day take to market. I think this could be very valuable. Please yes.

We have talked about this before, It could be a lot of fun. Lets do it!

Sweet, What do you need to run this workshop? Can I help in anyway ?

Thanks for the poke! Since the last time I was actively messing around with my airplane workshop idea I’ve built two Flite Test designs using a bunch of gear from AliExpress but still haven’t flown anything. :confused:

I have a long-neglected cart at AliExpress containing all the electronic bits required for a 10-person workshop, it works out to just under $1k for 10 each of motor+ESC, battery, charger, TX/RX, plus enough XT60 and bullet connectors, and 40 servos. Probably want to toss in another ~$20/person for miscellaneous wires, props, etc.

TBH I could just hit the big ORDER ALL THE THINGS button now, but I’d rather get some expressions of interest from members before I do that.

Edit: Nearly all of the Aliexpress items don’t have any price breaks down at our scale, so we could scale it down to 2-3 attendees without really increasing the price by much at all.

1 Like

plus one, with exclamation mark (I previously replied with a simple ‘+1!’,
but got rejected for falling below the 4 letter minimum…)

I missed the grape peeling event!

I have been giving serious thought to putting on the yarn swift workshop. I have to check my supplies (and my calendar) before I advertise it.

1 Like

i’d be in for the airplane workshop…

I suggest starting a new thread about this, Using https://www.picatic.com or some other method to collect money upfront. There is no reason that you should have to foot the bill for this project before hand. Or if you don’t want to foot the bill at all just post the bill of materials and get other people to buy their own parts.

I am also interested in this workshop too.

1 Like

I would like to run more wooden pen making workshops but the hackspace simply doesn’t have the space or resources to do this properly. However, I’m talking with MakerLab to run a few workshops there before Christmas.