YAP - Converting old IBM keyboard to Bluetooth?

So I came across some old IBM type M and F keyboards…
The type M on the left are really friggin heavy

Thought about converting them to Bluetooth like done here:

But this uses a Adafruit BLE module that doesn’t seem to be available any more…
Wondered if anyone had luck using the cheaper AliExpress BLE modules?
Time to figure out what the different modules can do (hc-05 vs rn-42, etc)…

Also have a few no name clone type F’ish keyboards that will leave in the 3 week bins once I know I don’t need any of the key caps…

YAP = Yet Another Project - a recognized issue that crosses ADD with the incessant need to start making things…

4 Likes

Ah…this takes me back. Are you gonna put the one you want through the dishwasher?

1 Like

Yet Another Project. I know that feeling so well. I have too many projects on the go myself and don’t know what to do next. So I ignore all of them and go read instead. :slight_smile:

I remember those old keyboards. They were so comfortable to type on. Ah, the good old days…

2 Likes

I have some Bluetooth HID modules I got from Sparkfun awhile ago; those worked well for a pressure style prototype I made back at 45W.

The modules were these, but they have a HID firmware flashed on them: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12574

Not seeing the HID firmware on sparkfun anymore though…

1 Like

I have some unused Bluefruit modules if you want them

I saw this Instructable about extracting the firmware from a RN-42 and flashing it to a HC-05…
I definitely seem to need a BLE module with the HID firmware…

@mike - do you want to sell any of the Sparkfun HID modules?
@garble7 - what sort of Bluefruit modules and what would you want for them?

EZ-Key. I have 2 or 3 i’ll have to check.

I’ll give them to you for a bomber of beer.

I just checked and I have 3 working and 3 that were DOA from Adafruit. You’re welcome to them all.

Lemme know what beer(s) you want and how to make the trade…
Thanks…

i can meet you at the hackspace this weekend. or somewhere downtown

as for the beer, whatever looks interesting and local.

I’ll be at the Space at 5:00 PM Sat (tomorrow) night…
May also be there Monday night…

1 Like

i’ll meet you saturday at the hackspace

I’m very interested in this project! I have a USB to BT module sitting at home because I can’t decide on a battery to use.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.