Who are the MIDI/OSC wizards among ye?

Looking for some pals to discuss the following with…

Control surfaces
Motorized faders
Housing design/repurposing
Foot pedals
DMX integration

I’m no expert by any means (probably well below competent beginner actually) but I did build a small battery powered OSC controller…

I used an Adafruit Huzzah ESP8266 module as it has a built in LiPo charger…
As the ESP8266 on has a single analog input I added a ADS1115 ADC module…

I built it to send OSC data via Wi-Fi to some lighting software (LightJams & ELM) that I have been playing with…
Also working on another battery powered controller that sends OSC data from an accelerometer/gyro module to have the lights react to real-time motion…

As these lighting apps also work with MIDI I have bought a few old MIDI control surfaces to also use as a controls…

The #music-nerds channel on the hackspace slack has some community knowledge about these topics, as well :slight_smile:

I also don’t know a ton, but I use OSC in my work to communicate between lighting, sound, and projection software. Would love to collaborate with others and learn more (also interested in building DMX controls).

I have built a few types of DMX controllers:

This is an 8 channel controller (4 x faders and a 3 axis joystick with a button)

I have built various Wi-Fi E1.31 (sACN) to wired DMX bridges using both ESPixelStick and WLED firmware.

1 Like

I’d love to build a DMX Dowser: receives a DMX signal from a wired connection and uses the data to rotate a motor (and the motor has a piece of metal attached which covers or uncovers a projector)

That shoudl be reasonably easy from the code and controller side… The mechanics would depend on the size of the dowser and the speed you need it moved… It should be easy to control a stepper motor or a servo to move from one position to another…

1 Like

Oh hai! I hear you like OSC and DMX integration. I am an expert in this case, since I work in theatre and concert lighting. Feel free to send me a message on slack :slight_smile:

@nicochecko DMX dowsers are easy peasy to make, but can be an absolute nightmare to position! I’ll chat with my TD to see what the easiest diy is for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!