What To Do With The Broken Windows

@laftho and @dbynoe carefully went through the leftover windows found in the back area at Venables.

Sadly, nearly all of them were broken and do not appear suitable for any reuse. They have been stored carefully in the furnace room but should really be disposed of properly. I am posted the photos so that the pre-existing damage can be clearly shown:

IMG_4226

@rsim, does the landlord still expect us to store these, or can we get rid of them?

2 Likes

I’d say it’s too soon for us to make a call on what we’re doing as far as the windows are concerned - so best to leave them stored in the boiler room for now. I can easily see us doing an infrastructure grant that includes fixing the buildings windows, and even if we don’t use these old windows we may very well want them around at that time for some reason. It’d suck to not have them if we need them.

2 Likes

Its hard to tell from the photos, but there is only really one fully intact window, most have a bunch of cracked or damaged panes.

I figure if someone got really really bored and had a big box of band-aids you could probably pull the intact glass out of the most broken ones and fix the ones that only have a few broken panes. Perhaps netting about 3 or so fully intact windows. From a value of labor standpoint its probably better investing that energy into applying for grants and getting funding for new windows, but hey, projects.

2 Likes

Plus, you’d want to go double glazed anyway.

1 Like

Not sure if you’ve been in the space at all, but I’m pretty sure the window glazing is the least of our heat loss issues. I’d be more concerned with the complete and total lack of insulation in the attic, walls, foundation and floor. (whats the r value for upholstery foam?), oh, and the few gaps in the exterior envelope you could fit a morbidly obese groundhog through.

3 Likes

I’d be keen on eventually getting some natural light into the space, which these might help with once modified a bit. I was thinking at the very least some sort of pane replacement for those that are broken, frosting for security, and another layer of acrylic on the inside for heat retention/security. The nice thing about those ones is that we can remove individual panes as required for venting… Just my 2 cents!

1 Like

:musical_note::notes::musical_note: what do you do with a broken window, what do you do with a broken window, what do you do with a broken window, er-lie in the morning :musical_note::notes::musical_note:

Sorry. I resisted for almost a whole day.

3 Likes