What is the status of the gaming grant?

Hello

Last AGM 2014, there was a topic on VHS-ARC and @sIGNgUY applying for a grant from the CoV. I believe it was the “Gaming grant” Community Gaming Grants Program - Province of British Columbia

• What is the current status?
  • What has has been done so far to apply for this grant?
  • Do you have a copy of the grant that we could read?

@sIGNgUY Maybe you could shed some light on this topic?

According to BC Gaming Branch our application is still in progress
IMHO we wont get a grant till possibly next year.

Can someone post a copy of the application please?

I see that the application was for September 4 so it won’t be considered until 2015.

I have a feeling that vhs won’t be able to apply for a gaming grant until 2016 since you can only apply once per organization.

Getting really sick of this not happening. It’s been requested many times already.

To quote the 2012 AGM minutes (emphasis copied directly from the minutes):

The grant was applied for by VHS-ARC not by VHS. There is nothing to keep VHS from applying for a grant on its own, though strategically it may not be the smartest idea. More on the VHS-ARC application when I have time and am not on my mobile

Paul S. Gill

VE7PXG

1 Like

Gaming grants require constitutions & by-laws, list of member elected board of directors, minutes from the last AGM and a year of financial statements. If VHS-ARC has all of these (not VHS’s) then we should be good.

How come?

poke

It looks like the grant has been submitted and is in progress

https://www.gaming.gov.bc.ca/gaming/report/DirectAccessWebReport.do

City | Organization Name | Application Received On | Application Type | Status
Vancouver  | Vancouver Hack Space - Amateur Radio Club | 04-Sep-2014 | Community Gaming Grant | In Progress | 

So that is a good thing.

@sIGNgUY - I love the idea of a HAM club as part of VHS but not the way you are handling it. If you want to be part of VHS and trade on the goodwill VHS has in the community, you need to play within the very, very few rules that are established. You are required to make your grant public before sending it in. You have been asked several times to publish it [four times in this thread alone] and keep putting it off. What is the difficulty here? You are charging VHS members a fee to join your club, claiming a dedicated desk space or your club within VHS which you claim i off limits to others, but you can’t follow the very simple rules? I’m not normally a dick, I really think you need to come correct here and either work within the VHS framework, or figure out another solution.

Thank you all for your comments criticisms and witticisms.

Apologies for taking so long to get back to folks but it has been a very busy and trying time both personally and work-wise.

And I wanted to answer when I was in a more peaceful frame of mind rather than as a knee-jerk.

To reiterate, the grant with supporting documentation was applied for by the amateur radio club not by VHS itself.

Originally the plan was to apply for the grant as VHS-ARC as a sub-entity of VHS but after a through review of the application guidelines and speaking to a number of other radio clubs in the lower mainland it made sense to apply for the grant solely as a radio club.

There is no requirement for gaming grant applicants to be registered as a society and as such the ARC applied for the grant under its own name and VHS was not involved in the application nor was VHS’s community goodwill used or abused in any way. We could have chosen to apply as the IBARC (Inglourious Basterds Amateur Radio Club) or any other name of our choosing. Applying as VHS-ARC will benefit VHS as a whole in the future.

VHS-ARC does not charge a membership fee from VHS members, we did originally collect a $10 donation from those persons willing for some seed money to purchase some basics (Industry Canada radio club registration, manuals etc).

Any VHS member who has or wishes to acquire an Industry Canada license may join the radio club and use the equipment within the law.

The last time I checked, of about 25 radio enthusiasts, 19 were members of VHS and 6 were people who were the usual VHS non-member attendee types (ie potential members of VHS).

If any VHS member wishes to check out the submitted application form, Farrell or I will arrange to meet in person with you to peruse the documentation. There is confidential personal information and also our strategy for the application that we choose not to post on a public forum.

As for why it is strategic that VHS wait before applying for any BC gaming grants, please see me off list.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply Paul, it is appreciated and does set my mind at ease about a number of the critical issues at hand.

I’m sorry, but that’s not how it works. Just because you’re calling ARC another name, you’re still operating within VHS and must follow and respect VHS’s rules. If all it took was for a group to call themselves another name to avoid abiding by VHS’s rules, we’d have a crazy bad time.