Vinyl Cutter for VHS Tilt Campaign Here

Sweet! Are we getting the better one then the clipper?
It seems like most people want the features of the Zing Air one

All of the people that have used and are interested in having a commercial
grade cutter would like the Zing.

As discussed on Slack with you, it costs $676.87 CAD, including shipping
and taxes.

There was also no dissent with the suggestion for VHS kicking in the
remaining $150 to bump us up to that level.

Is that the one we got?

According to the ‘tilt’ it’s at 550 and the AIR is listed as costing 750, so unless someone steps up to making some kind of extended tilt, Clippers the word. I bet the Clipper will last longer (it seems less ‘crafty’) but Im doubtful it will help any of my projects right now due to the low cut strength and no option for piercing. I finally got my credit card in the black and the tilt just ended! I’ll be sure to kick a 20 at least, in the donations if I find a project for this.

Great work! Thanks so much iMakeRobot and others for making it happen!

Clipper is the word. The money was not raised before the campaign ended. Some folks wanted me to slow down …but at their speed, the campaign was not getting off the ground. Second, I’m not comfortable holding on to other member’s money while they ask “so…where’s the machine we tilted?” I’m a no-win situation, there. Third, there’s always a better option.

If VHS wants to chip in for something, make it overages. We raised $550 including my $40 contribution.
Order was $500 + $27.16 PST + $43.11 shipping for a total of $570.27. @jon has asked for his $50 back, so I’m out of pocket $70.27 + whatever import duties I’m hit with. I’d appreciate that amount back.

Damn, Well it looks like the Clipper has good resale value on Ebay (-25%) when we want to upgrade in the future.

To explain why I asked for my money back (As Dan brought it up) - I asked for my money back if Dan wasn’t willing to wait on the decision on VHS stepping in to make up the difference to funding the better machine. (this was discussed here, and seemed generally positively recieved.)

I told Dan this on Tuesday, before the tilt ended, and before anything was ordered (Tilt does not allow users to refund their request - has to be organizer). I know I’m not the only one who asked him not to push ahead foolishly.

Dan, I appreciate you organizing this in the first place, but wish you had been willing to listen to feedback.

(On that note - the KNK vinyl package, shipped from the Canadian Vendor is $670 taxes and shipping in - If import duties are more than $50 and VHS steps in to cover Dan’s overages, VHS will have spent more than we would have on the prefered machine.)

2 Likes

Foolishly? So it’s down to public name calling now.

If the plan wasn’t good, people wouldn’t have funded it. All you’ve succeeded in doing is making me feel like shit. Good job, mission accomplished. Like I don’t have enough problems already…

I’m not sure how you can justify asking VHS to cover overages on a purchase you chose to make knowing you’d be short 70$. It looks like the refund was requested, at least the conditions of the refund defined, well before you made the purchase so you should have realized that you only had $500 available from the tilt, not $550.

While I appreciate the effort to put this together prior to this point, the rest of this was handled irresponsibly.

Perhaps you were clear that you were going to follow the exact plan in the tilt and I missed that, but even as a contributor I was under the impression that we were going to have VHS chip in for an upgrade. Either way, I’m happy we managed to crowd fund a tool for VHS that’s awesome! But it’s pretty clear you made a $570.27 purchase knowing you only had $500… I expect VHS to not cover this.

1 Like

So whenever things get figured out, I feel like the table by the laser cutter makes sense for a home, depending on the size/margins.

Added: would be nice to have the computers at the back set up to run all manor of programs that work with the laser cutter/printers/plotter, I’m not sure what our rules are for how to acquire said programs, but I could attempt to slowly load them up with things I know work.

2 Likes

We originally had the 3D printing back there too with that idea… and I think it got moved out of that area because of some interference with the laser cutter?

Perhaps VHS ARC bench could be moved to the back area where the laser is and that whole row be 3D printing vinyl cutting?

I do however like having all the 3D printing/laser/vinyl cutter at the back near the laser but not sure of the reasons it got moved out, as those reasons may apply to the vinyl cutter too.

@laftho so asking for 250 for a bigger cutter was reasonable, but asking for 70 is less so? I don’t see how you can have it both ways.

When we were last out of paper towels, garbage bags, zip ties, I got them and didn’t submit an invoice. At the last super happy hacker house I bought beer for other people and didn’t make a scene about it.
When VHS2 needed a ladder that wasn’t dangerously unsafe, who spent $200 to get one and didn’t get a refund? Me.

I justify it by it can’t hurt to ask.

afaik the 3d printers can’t be in the back because the airflow messes with the print temperature and causes failures (curling, delamination from the bed). I believe ARC has to be in that corner to connect to the antennae wires, but get @sIGNgUY or Ferrel to confirm that.

1 Like

We could certainly look in to shifting that stuff around/reorganizing it upwards, I haven’t seen anyone using it, could could be wrong. I think a plotter would get less traffic than the printers as well/takes far less time to do it’s job.

I really like the organization that’s happened around the CNC, I’m sure those talents could be used in other places.

VHS - ARC can be moved - not into the washroom tho😉

1 Like

@laftho As Dan mentioned the 3D printers were moved due to the airflow from the open windows causing issues with print quality etc.

1 Like

Also - thanks Dan for doing the tilt. Next question - where to buy the vinyl for the cutter?? Anyone have suggestions.

I bought my Vinly from [Joto Paper][1]. They are located in Port Coquitlam so you can drop in and pick up if you’re close by. Prices will drop if you order over a certain quantity.

Mark
[1]: Joto Imaging Supplies - Bringing Images to Life

I would also suggest that

1. Training be provided before anyone is let loose on the cutter

2. everyone purchase their own blades as these can and will get dulled, chipped with use.

Blades are typically $10-$20 each UNLESS someone is interested in organizing an Alibaba buy in which prices drop quite a bit but you have shipping etc to deal with. See → One of many examples or Another example etc.

1 Like

Another opportunity for the vending machine?

1 Like

I’m thinking yes, at cost. It would be good if the cutter and the CNC all had the same lockout as the laser cutter.