Vinyl Cutter for VHS Tilt Campaign Here

Some things I have made with my die cutter. I like it for paper as it there is no burn residue that will affect any further artwork done with it.

My only recommendation would be to make sure that you get a heavy duty die cutter if you expect this to get a lot of use. The one that I have is a Silver Bullet 24.

The Silhouette Cameo DOES NOT Emboss, Pierce, Engrave or distress, and it also may not have enough force to cut thicker materials. It will also not directly import SVGs. If you do want a die cutter I would recommend the Silver Bullet having used it for almost 3 years.

Check out this comparison charts for die cutters. You’ll need to scroll right in the tables to see all the cutters.

Paper models from Blender

Some general paper cuts

Vinyl T-Shirt Decals

Paper cut and plastic stencils.

2 Likes

Wow! Yes, I want. Mm mm… It’s soo dreamy… Too bad the SB24 is over 1000$ USD… :confounded: @Majicj, you are such a tease.

OK, I’m down for one hellava BAKE SALE! Who’s with me!

One thing I did notice is that there appears to be a lot of die cutter clones available on Alibaba for approx $250 or so. These look like unbranded versions of commercial models available. Ie Roland , Silver Bullet, etc. perhaps someone with Alibaba connections could investigate a purchase?

1 Like

Thanks for starting this Dan. I threw down $20.

We are now over the half-way point to tilting this project. Where is a good place for the vinyl cutter to live? above the sewing machines? next to the 3d printers?

What are people’s thoughts about the unbranded ones posted above? Too much risk? One ‘appears’ to be the largest Silver Bullet brand for only 335$! It has a max cutting strength of 1250grams as opposed to “The Clipper” with only 250grams. It also can cut the same width with unlimited length.

1 Like

Unbranded, unwarranted model for a few bucks less? Not convinced that’s worth it.

1 Like

Gonna bump this for more support! Even $20 will go a long way if we get 10 people. Members: Consider getting in on it!

https://www.tilt.com/tilts/buy-a-vinyl-cutter-for-vhs

I’m not sold on the Cameo Cutter. I know it mainly as a craft cutter, not something professional. What made you choose that one?

Price point, availability, warranty, english instructions, wide adoption, space at the space. not in that order.

@BZC what other options are there at this price point? (Assuming we reach the tilt)

Somehow I missed the part about the Clipper when scanning over the campaign this morning. Derp derp derp. I’d be much more interested in a larger cutter.

US Cutter has a comparable product with a one year warranty.

Doesn’t do fabric like the Cameo

4 days left, $110 to go. Who’s in? It’s one AAA video game and two movie tickets away from completion.

2 Likes

Let’s talk about the best vinyl cutter for the space, price being no object.

Two links posted above:
http://die-cutting-machines-review.toptenreviews.com
http://silverbulletcutters.com/comparison-chart/

Assuming we can rule out the Cameo, three mentioned are:

• Clipper 24"x3m vinyl cutter, $550
  • KNK Zing Air, $600 (USD probably)
  • Silver Bullet 24", $1200 USD

Thoughts?
If a bunch of people donate $5-10 more to the Tilt (we’re only $45 away!), we can hit the main goal, with VHS taking up the slack to get the democratically chosen machine.

There are also totally different machines on the table. Please mention any other suggestions you have! I have literally never even seen a vinyl cutter in person, I am not an expert.

1 Like

Wishful thinking is a great way to make people feel bad about reality. Please discuss it in a new thread where it doesn’t derail the current effort.

I am willing to throw in $20 if we consider a different cutter. I would
even suggest buying a refurbished cutter from a local dealer. I know my
vinyl cutters. The silhouette is great for light duty home use but for the
space we should be looking at a commercial grade cutter.

Paul S Gill
aka the sIGNgUY
VE7PXG

alternate email
(I use gmail for mobile email)

paul@bcweddings.org
paul@gills.ca

3 Likes

I’m with @sIGNgUY. I’d throw money in to the tilt but not for the the Silhouette.

1 Like

Great! Then throw in enough to give us options. :slight_smile:

As well as vinyl I think the cutter we purchase should also do fabric - it’s one of the reasons I put $$$ into this tilt.