VHS Homework Assignment #5 - Introduce yourself

Hi, I’m Amar. I made my first visit last Tuesday and am going to become a member.

1. Currently working on writing new firmware for iclickers to do something. I don’t know yet what that something is, but I would like to get simple radio communications working to start with.

2. The most recent project I have completed is some custom input devices for a video game I play. There is a two button keyboard made from an Arduino with capacitive sensing, and an absolute mouse made from a laser pointer and a Playstation Eye camera.

1. My favorite tool is the laser cutter, hands down. You can use it to create large, strong, and accurate structures in a relatively short amount of time. With laser cutting, I helped to design this and a couple other robots in high school:

2. I’d love to learn circuit board design and manufacturing, and reverse engineering of hardware. I have a keyboard with a microcontroller I would like to reprogram but first I have to identify what it is. If that is not possible, I might try and make my own keyboard using the switches from there.

3. Laser cutting, Solidworks, welding, little bit of machining, several programming languages (high and low level), little bit of electronics.

4 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Hans and I’ve been dropping in on open nights since late March this year, although on most of my visits I was only there to mingle and admire other people’s creations rather than work on my projects.

Please don’t judge. I’m a complete newbie and have no skills in pretty much everything that goes on at VHS, but I do have a desire to create things. At present I want to learn something about woodworking, and also 3d modelling and printing to create some figurines for home decoration.

As an apartment dweller, l really like the idea of a shared workspace – this gives me the chance to finally learn a few new skills and try to create something without having my own workshop or garage! Thank you VHS!!

6 Likes

Hi all !!

I just found out VHS is but two blocks from my Vancouver pad, how ridiculously convenient! I’ve been down the rabbit hole for about a year now with two local wearable tech start-up’s spending more and more time in Vancouver. I live in Kimberley, BC. In any case, super excited about getting back into the local Maker scene. I’ve been drifting in and out for a few years here, a few of you know me. Originally I was an OG member of Calgary’s Protospace and have exhibited a couple times at Van’s MMF. Anyway, onto the homework. :wink:

Q1) Working on… Mostly my start-up work of course (I CTO a wearable tech company). My fun project for this year is going to be a mini art car. Yes, I’m a Burner. It’ll be a small hybrid (Gas/EV) vehicle with mega LED’s, drink cooler, mini bar, sick bass and comfy seats.

Q2) Something I’ve made… …relevant to VHS: I modded a small CNC paper cutter to produce very high quality SMT solder paste stencils. I’ll have to setup/donate one to the space. I was inspired to make this after going to the Open Source Hardware Summit in NY a few years ago. It uses some magic paper but produces stencils approaching the quality of a SS stencil (compared to the garbage laser cut ones).

Also designed and produced a bunch of wearable LED stuff with Vlad Lavrovsky, as seen at Burning Man, VMMF and all of the Makefasion events.

Q3) My favourite tool… is my PnP machine and VPS reflow oven. I also love a good CNC mill, but sadly I sold my last one to Protospace. :wink:

Q4) I want to learn… how to DJ, as in EDM type stuff. Ok, not really a maker activity, but I do that for a living. :wink: I’m also trying to learn sewing and pattern making, mostly for costuming and functional clothing.

Q5) I have skills… in a lot of tech things. I’m an expert systems programmer in all mainstream languages, embedded/firmware for PIC/AVR/ARM/XMOS, electronics design and manufacturing, mechanical engineering, math, physics and have experience with just about every tool imaginable. I’ve been a professional Maker for at least 25 years, long before “Maker” was a thing.

That’s it !

I love to teach and help others, so please feel free to hit me up. My advice is always free, and I may work for beer.

Cheers!!

Colin

8 Likes

So this thread was resurrected from the deep by a spammer, but being as we’ve had a lot of new people here lately, I think it’s kinda serendipitous. So I’ll start:

I’m Metal_Janet, you can call me Janet or MJ. I’m one of the members of the VHS welding shop committee, and I run the welding training. My background is in fine arts and theatre, but now I wreck things while other people film it for a living. My other areas of interest include chocolate making, painting, silicone mould making and resin casting, Rhino 3D, celiac-safe cooking, guerilla gardening, accordions and organizing stupid hackspace events. (come on vaccine!!) I am also responsible for most of the glitter in the space sorry/not sorry. I do enjoy metal music, but I don’t have enough knowledge of the genre to call myself a Metal Fan. I do enjoy female growlers.

At this point my biggest hobby is building hackspaces; If you have an idea for an improvement or some insanity that you want to make happen at the space, I will do what I can to enable you.

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m new, like two days new, here. I got the tour from MJ on Saturday and really liked what I saw. I’ve been woodworking for quite a while, mostly on stuff for our little house like cabinets and tables. I also brew a lot of beer, though my real passion is making stuff for making beer - electric brew systems, glycol chillers, and bits and bobs like that. This brings me to Van Hack…there are a bunch of metal projects that I’d like to tackle, which is a whole skill set that I don’t yet have. So, I’ll be

1/ Working on a nice-too-look-at and yet practical exhaust hood for my boil kettle

2/ Something I’ve made…most recently and interesting would be the glycol chiller

3/ My favorite tool is, perhaps, my nice Veritas shoulder plane

4/ I want to learn metalworking! This Old Tony is a terrible influence.

5/ I have skills in woodworking, programming, Linux stuffs, making beer and cider, and general house fixing stuff

I’m looking forward to meeting everyone!

Todd

6 Likes

Hi all!

My name is Blake, I’m currently an engineering student at UBC on a co-op work term with Brave Technology Coop. I’ll be around for the next few months with @sampath and @yousif.

I mostly work on electronics and firmware projects, including what I’m working on with Brave, and also my design team at UBC - UBC Solar. The team builds solar-powered cars to race in competition, and I work on the Battery Management System for the car!

Looking forward to the next few months!

6 Likes

Hello everyone!

My name is Yousif, I’m currently an engineering student at UBC on a co-op work term with Brave Technology Coop. I’ll be working here with @Blake and @sampath until April.

Some of my past projects include making an autonomous robotic claw and a breadboard ADC (analog to digital converter). I am a mechanical subteam member of UBC Mars Colony, an engineering student design team. Our current project is prototyping a chemical reactor that could (hopefully) produce methane fuel from in-situ resources on mars (ice, co2). I’ve designed parts of the reactor frame and pipe routing, and currently working on wiring some of the electrical components for the reactor control systems.

Looking forward to seeing you all at the hackspace over the next few months!

9 Likes
  1. I am currently working an crawler robot
  2. I am a mechanical engineer so I do little projects all the time. In the past I have made a electronic maglev, a conveyor system, and robotic delta arm assembly.
  3. Waterjet
  4. Using die stock with a lathe quill to get high quality external threads
  5. I have accumulated a lot skills over the years: CAD, FEA, Python, C, Soldering Iron, Basic Machining
3 Likes

Q1) What are you currently working on?
Currently working on a blanket (crochet)

Q2) What have you made in the past?
A whole plethora of things. I like to learn and I have millions of ideas that l like to bring to life. Most recently I finished replacing all the LEDs in my DJ controller.

Q3) What is your favourite tool?
Can I say all of them? If someone shows me something once and I practice a couple times, I have it down and will use it for all different things.

Q4) What do you want to learn?
Lol everything. I’m a learning sponge.

Q5) What skills do you have?
Uh, let’s see, crochet, sewing, sculpting, photo manipulation, painting, some woodworking, jewelry making, I’m sure there are other things just not coming to mind.

Basically, I’m an artist, I like to make things and fix things. I’m a Jane (?) of all trades.

Here’s a picture of my most recent project. The lights all used to be orange and red:

4 Likes

Hey Everyone!
My name is Tynan I just joined and am Very Excited to get into a space to work on projects again!!!
Q1) Currently I am hoping to finish up a free standing hangboard for climbing training which will end very soon, second project i’m hoping to work on is trying to make some strange device that will shoo pigeons off my deck automatically electromechanically.
Q2) I’ve done a number of projects in the past from human powered submarines to persistence of vision spinners for a variety of school and extra curricular projects.
Q3) My favorite tools would be mills lathes and 3D printers
Q4) I would like to learn how to weld MIG/TIG I have very little experience but some with MIG in the past. I also would really like to learn CNC mills and routers and a laser cutting.
Q5) I have experience with manual mills/lathes, Waterjets, Electronics design/Assembly/troubleshooting, soldering, simple woodworking
I look forward to seeing people around!

7 Likes