VHS Group project - Multiplayer Pinball

While we’re kicking off group projects…

This is one @funvill and I have had kicking (flipping?) around for a while -

building a multiplayer pinball table, along the lines of this and this, but with the craziness of this, (watch until at least 4:30…) and a big RGB lightshow. Possibly applying dangerously high voltages?

My thought was three players in a hexagonal layour, and more frentic - lots of flashing lights, things firing balls around and at you, etc.

Lots of different places to go with it design wise, depending on how many people are interested.

6 Likes

There are a number of resources out there for doing this kind of thing, as well.

I’m interested…
I just happen to have a bunch of old parts from a few playfields I purchased over the years for my Comet (Williams System 9)…
Happy to donate them for a group project…
Assuming I can find them…

2 Likes

Sadly my “bunch” of parts seems to have shrunk over the years and various relocation’s but I do have:
Complete Comet wiring harness with all the switches and lamp holders. The caveat is that it is still mounted on the play-field and has to be carefully removed as I want to try to restore the play-field. Hard to say if it is worth the effort to save and re-use but the switches may be worth saving.

Many various play-field hardware bits includign small ramps, guide rails, switches, lamp holders, misc plastics, etc

Set of right/left flipper mechanisms, 3 pop bumpers, 2 sling shots and a couple of ball kickers. These have all been rebuilt and my plan was to use them on the above play-field once it was also restored. Kinda iffy on giving them up but if you actually get a play-field built…

I know I had more but have run out of places to look… If you have no interest in the wiring harness or parts on the play-field let me know since I may strip it now that I have it unwrapped and I’ll probably turf the bits…

Since I have the old play-field pulled out and unwrapped I’m going to strip the wiring harness along with the various switches, lights and misc hardware…

I’m going to keep the play-field to try to restore it but don’t need all the bits that I will remove. Anyone want it for either this project (or if it is not wanted) for anything else?

Here is the front:

The back:

Close up of the bits:

@packetbob - sorry for the delay definitely interested in switches lights, and the misc hardware - guides, lamp holders, etc.

Do you need a hand removing everything?

If it works for you I could bring it down to the space on Tuesday night and we could take it apart. It will also give you a chance to take pictures of some of the assemblies before it is all removed (may help you putting things back together)

that would be great. I’m around most tuesdays nights, just drop me a line.

@jon - If it works for you, I can bring the playfield tonight and we can strip it down…

1 Like

cool, sounds like a plan.

bring a box for the bits and pieces…

never mind as I have one…

This is the website that Arthur mentioned tonight at VHS
http://na.suzohapp.com/amusement_products/pinball_parts/

Started throwing the playfield model into solidworks.

http://i.imgur.com/7xSWgGb.png

Each of the three main panels is sized to fit on the laser cutter - 1m x 0.8m.

2 Likes

Sweet! What would it be made out of? Should we put together a parts list? Maybe we can all start grabbing stuff as we see it?

@ninetynein - please! if you see any pinball parts, let me know :smile: - bumpers, flippers and the like are probably going to be the bulk of the project cost, and @packetbob’s already got us a good starting point.

Power supply is also an uncertainty.

In terms of materials to build the table itself, current plan:

• reasonably thick plywood, shopbot milled to create lips for lighting inserts, holes, etc.
  • artwork, printed on clear vinyl
  • a clear sheet of thin PETG with laser cut holes for anywhere screws are needed, to protect the artwork.
  • a piece of clear acrylic mounted ~15cm above the playfield to keep hands away.

This seems like a bit of a deal…
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/tag/5078180181.html

Maybe we could MAME up the arcade games and recoup some of the costs?

Actually maybe not. One pin and one arcade look like crap.

Pretty expensive to just strip them for parts…

Damn, missed it!
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/bar/5110453900.html