VHS Equipment Review Project - Server Rack

Beside the Manual Miller is this server rack:

A few members have their names on some of the servers: @laftho, @iMakeRobots. I have no idea what, if anything, the unlabeled servers are doing.

A significant amount of the rack spaces are empty. It weighs a great deal and requires a huge effort to move. If the members maintaining servers in it have lost interest, can it be downsized to something more manageable?

Poll: https://doodle.com/poll/ggc53z78h2tzentb

The yellow Google server on the bottom is mine. I installed VMWare for anyone who wanted to spin up a server or VM. If it’s no longer required then I will remove it before the move.

I think it has an Ubuntu VM on it which runs the UniFi software for the Ubiquiti AP

Steve

1 Like

Hi Steve,
Thank you, I (for my mentor) wanted a server to run some number crunching. Lots of RAM could be needed. What would be the specs: Xeons, #of cores, RAM, etc.?
Thanks,
RK

The thing with the fans is an FPGA rig that @Jarrett is doing stuff with. The red box is the pfSense box.

There are currently multiple VMs running on the VMware server.

@toma, got any feedback on stuff?

You can now configure all the simple stuff on the Ubiquiti APs with the Android app, it doesn’t need to be paired with a controller any more. It did this with my APs, is much easier.

Red box is a spare pfsense box I’ve been hacking around with. (Up for
hacking)
The 2U dl385 G2 I was using for a bit, but am no longer using. (Up for
hacking)
The top HP 1U server is our PFSense server. (Do not hack)
The second HP 1U server is our backup PFSense incase the current one dies.
The third HP server Dan was using, I think.

1 Like

Obviously I’m biased because I have a few Us in that rack but I’d like to keep it. For some members it may be the only way they get introduced to this type of equipment. Presumably in a new space we can home it better and encourage more hackery / projects in that area.

I fully expect all non-VHS equipment to be moved by their owners and anything left behind would be auctioned or discarded. (There’s probably a QGM proposal in that statement).

In this particular case, a full rack vs half rack isn’t much different to move; with respect to the amount of VHS occupied Us in this instance but the full rack makes better use of that abundant vertical space.

2 Likes

Yeah, keep it all, but @laftho gets to be in charge of moving it all :smiley:

1 Like

Have you guys thought of doing a server workshop? Talk about what they can do, how people can use them, etc?

These are not readily internet accessible, so they’d mostly be used to for playing around or stuff that’s space specific and assumes familiarity with Linux/etc. Most people get to know Linux through desktop/laptop or through their Raspberry Pi’s. There’s also no guarantees on the uptime of these servers, so use at your own peril. That said, there’s some project and infrastructure stuff running on there for various people.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.