VHS Equipment Review - Multimeters

Continuing the effort to cut down on excess and unused equipment, I’ve tested and photographed all multimeters in the red bin. I’ve broken them down into ones that work and busted ones.

Working Multimeters

Broken Multimeters

Please chime in with your opinion on what to keep and what to toss. I’m thinking we keep the Mastercraft, RadioShack, Victor, the 4 cheapies, one pocket multimeter (either the Uni-T or Tripplett) and try to fix the Fluke current clamp.

3 Likes

Let’s at least keep the working ones.

At a minimum, I’d suggest getting rid of everything that doesn’t have tester cables associated with it.

Fluke meters are generally high quality.

Frankly, it’s hard to imagine us needing more that about 3-4?

Thanks for looking into this @Variable

Flukes are good quality. Check the fuses for this one.

2 Likes

There should be at least as multimeter’s as soldering irons. Needed for
testing and trouble shooting work. And everyone who gets soldering training
should see there work results.

I think we should purchase more good meters.

3 Likes

I agree. We should do a crowdfund at some point and buy a few in the $50-100 range. We’re also missing proper leads for our two good ones.

2 Likes

Should we choose to get rid of this one, I’d actually love to take it and repurpose it for my own nefarious needs.

To get a reading from a clamp meter you need to clamp just one pole not both otherwise they cancel each other and the sum is zero. From the image it looks like you’re checking a whole power cord not just one pole.

7 Likes

I forgot to do a christmas tool donation back in December, and good multimeters are worth having around.

I’ve ordered two new ones to donate to VHS, shipped to @Jarrett to bring down to VHS.

Hopefully that encourages tossing some of the older crap ones :slight_smile:

Merry Belated-Christmas, and Happy Hacking.

13 Likes

That’s awesome. Solves two birds with one stone. Thanks, @jon!

@jon GREAT!!!

Did not know that. I’ll try to retest them on Tuesday. Thanks for the advice.

@jon you are so kind. Thanks dude! Hope to see you sometime soon in Vancouver.

I say we keep the Micronta analog multimeter, just because it’s cool

1 Like

Damn. We live in the future.

Thanks again, @jon!

5 Likes

Thanks @Jon, that was really nice!

Also, please VHS brand them with permanent marker ASAP

4 Likes

ok that analog meter should probably be kept for “historical” values. it’s small, it works as far as i know and it looks like a tricorder.

1 Like

Thank you @jon!

(1) Keep all the Current Clamps
(2) Keep all the working multimeters (repair if blown fuse/out of battery is the only work)

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.