VHS Equipment Review: Keithley 168 Auto Ranging DMM, Claimed and Gone

Keithley 168 Auto Ranging DMM

Radio Museum Link

$29 ebay link

Keep it , bin it, sell on eBay, start up a new VHS Museum, claim it?

This is a keeper!

1 Like

Why do we need to keep this?

Keithleys,like HP or Tektronix (my trusted old oscilloscope) give correct readings (unless damaged or malfunctioning).

1 Like

We have plenty of other digital multimeters tho - why do we need this one in particular? I see it was produced in 1974. Just trying to understand better why we’d need to keep this around. :slight_smile:

Oh! I remember when this thing came in. Some random person knocked on the door at the bunker, I answered, he dropped it off and I put it on the shelf… Because I was a brand new member and had no idea. I’ve never ever ever seen it used.

2 Likes

Even old, more reliable. I.e., “Not Made In China”. I would not care so much if the date was 2016, as Keithley has been bought out by Fluke, who has been going downhill over the years, re. quality and warranty. A bit of TLC and you have a great tool.

If VHS wants to make shelf space by getting rid of it, I’ll give money for it!

(My frequency meter is an HP5246L with the 5253B converter. 8 nixie tubes as primary display… ‘know what I’m sayin’?)

2 Likes

Our DMMs are so beat up, and I’ve suspicious of some of their readings lately. If one of these old ones are more accurate, and if someone knowledgeable can verify that, then let’s keep it.

2 Likes

I agree many of our DMM are in bad condition. Even though they are old, I
would trust them more than some of our beat up ones.

Agree we need to verify them. This can be done with referencing them with a
“known” good reference meter.

Perhaps we need some New DMMs to replace our beat up ones. If we decide to go that route, I would consider chipping in.

Two for keep? One for claim?

I’ll leave this open a bit longer in case anyone would like to state their opinion on this one?

Keep it , bin it, sell on eBay, start up a new VHS Museum, claim it?

Can I offer $25 for the Keithley?

1 Like

That would be awesome! Paypal (with note) or cash in the Donatio.

Can you pick it up by Monday July 24th 2017?

Roger that, 25$ to Donatio, I’'l let you know what day I picked it up.

It will be well taken care of, thanks!

SDY

2 Likes

Picked up yesterday, at the open house, and will test it over the next week, thanks for the opportunity, much appreciated!

2 Likes