VESTIGIAL Laser Scrap Bin Organizer

Hey, so I saw there’s a contest and an out of control scrap bin, so what better cool thing to make for that contest than an organizer for that scrap bin out of the scrap bin materials!

Step one was to sort the scrap and come up with a design. I decided it would be nice to separate the acrylic and other miscellaneous approved materials from the wood for easier digging around, And also have a separate area for the tall skinny things and a cubby for the smaller pieces that are still useable that would normally fall to the bottom and get lost.

Then I got to lasering. I learned a lot about making tabby boxes, Namely, that it’s not fun to make out of four different materials for the different sides. Whoops.
Also, it’s good to double check and make sure that if you are trying to insert part of it into a hole opening, you should check the tabs before you laser it. Double whoops.

Anyway, I’ve been here for nine hours and I didn’t feel like waiting for glue to set, so I turned to our best friend: Duct Tape.

Unfortunately, my small pieces cubby is a little too small in my opinion, and the cubby doesn’t actually fit in the hole that it was designed for, but it’s a work in progress and I intend to fix it when we get more scrap of a suitable size!

Please use the small pieces cubby gently in the meantime.

I also made a handy-dandy guide for if you have a bunch of spindly things and you’re not sure if you should break them off of your scrap and throw them out or leave them for someone else to get poked by and deal with. This is a visual guideline and I trust you all to use your common sense.

Please don’t leave spindly things hanging off of your scrap, and please don’t use the scrap bin as a trashcan. We literally have a trashcan right there.

Thank you and happy lasering!

https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/vestigial-i-july-2024/15552

13 Likes

I gave your post a heart, but I do notice your annoying item tag is in front of a piece of acrylic that could have its annoying bit cut off :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s partially a hook, and partially an annoying reminder! :joy:

Unless you’re talking about the white bit of acrylic with the holes, which would have to be lasered off and I’ve already been here for 10 hours at this point, and it wasn’t mine to start with…

This is why people need to do it with their own stuff :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love everything about this

2 Likes