Update on COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus)

Hello fellow VHS’ers,

The health and well-being of our members are very important. And considering the situation surrounding COVID-19 - also known as Novel Coronavirus - we encourage all members to follow the recommendations of public health officials highlighted below:

• Wash your hands often with soap and water.
  • Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing,
  • Avoid others who are unwell.
  • Stay home when you are feeling sick.

Anyone who has recently travelled to an area affected by COVID-19, or is experiencing symptoms such as cough, sneezing, fever, sore throat and difficulty breathing, can call 8-1-1 at any time to talk to a nurse at HealthLinkBC and get advice about how you are feeling and what to do next.

For accurate and up-to-date information, please refer to

Please keep in mind that there is an increased risk of more severe outcomes for members with underlying medical conditions. Please be considerate of your fellow VHS members and stay safe out there.

Board of Directors

12 Likes

if you need an audio aid for 20 second hand washing, here’s a song:

4 Likes

There’s also this one!

5 Likes

@TyIsI shared this article in Slack: https://www.reddit.com/r/canada/comments/fghd23/psa_regarding_covid19_a_warning/

It was written by someone from BC and includes a well written summary with sources. I particularly like the list of other practical tips for reducing risk beyond the standard hand washing, social distancing, and not touching your face.

4 Likes

Even with social distancing, the virus can survive for a quite a time on surfaces (up to 72 hours), and it’s come to light that many infected folks can be asymptomatic, leading to a false sense of security, and further spread. Will the BOD please consider shutting down VHS for the next 2 weeks? Better safe than sorry.

Even with a physical closure, we can still hack. Mike is doing an online Fusion360 workshop. I’d encourage other people to do the same. This could be a great time to share knowledge/teach each other stuff.

3 Likes

I encourage others to do online workshops to help us reduce the desire to head into the space. I’m halting all visits to the space for a few weeks and I’ll try to run online workshops. If anyone needs help with the online aspect of it, give me a shout.

2 Likes

VIVO is closed to the public until further notice

Due to ongoing developments and the advice of health authorities we have decided to close to the public until further notice. We will be in contact with all users/stakeholders who may be impacted by this closure. We are also exploring the possibility of offering remote programming during this period of indefinite closure. We will continue to monitor e-mail correspondence throughout this period, please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

1 Like
1 Like

The Roundhouse is now closed until further notice

COVID-19 UDPATE

These are extraordinary times in Canada and the world. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Vancouver Board of Parks and Recreation has closed all of its community centres, including the Roundhouse, for the foreseeable future.

• All programs are cancelled for the remainder of the Winter (January to March) season.
  • Registration for Spring/Summer (April to August) is postponed until further notice.
  • Spring Break Daycamp (K-13) is running until Friday, March 20.
  • All other events and rentals are cancelled until further notice.

Community Centre Closure notice

Day Camp notice

REFUNDS: We are currently processing refunds for all classes between March 16, 2020 to the end of the Winter season. You do not need to request the refund as it will be processed automatically over the next two weeks. Your receipt will be emailed to you.

EVENTS: If you have an event scheduled at the Roundhouse, and have not talked to her already, please contact Rental Coordinator, Laura Mackay laura.mackay@vancouver.ca.

UPDATES: We have created a COVID-19 webpage on our website that will be updated as changes to the Roundhouse’s status occur. Resources will also be posted to this page – learning opportunities, government resources, and more. We hope that you will find them useful in the days ahead.

SOCIAL: You can also stay in contact with us through Facebook and Instagram. Look for resources and announcements and perhaps a few cat videos (and dogs in tutus, as one staff member requested!).

HOURS: Currently, staff is at the Roundhouse 9am-6pm, Monday to Friday. If you need to contact the Roundhouse, please call the front desk 604-713-1800 press 1, or email us at info@roundhouse.ca.

Stay safe and be kind to each other.

I know the bod is discussing this so thought this might be of interest. Makerlabs just shut down yesterday also.

1 Like

Maker Cube Closed

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Due to the outbreak of COVID-19 Maker Cube will be closed until further notice. We prioritize the safety and health of our community members, patrons, friends and family and have closed the facility as per the recommendations of the provincial health organizations. We encourage everyone to participate in social distancing in order to limit the transmission of the virus. Follow us on social media or subscribe to our email list to receive updates when our services will resume. We thank you for your understanding.

– Maker Cube Team

1 Like

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.