Tying VR/AR to real world objects

Hoping someone can help.

I’m trying to figure out if its possible to do a bit of a hybrid between Virtual reality and augmented reality.

If you can use Augmented Reality markers to establish an initial position which would be the ‘origin’ of the virtual model. In traditional AR you lose sight of the markers and the model has no reference but if that marker was just to initialise a position in the virtual world and you used something else like GPS, or accelerometer or gyroscope etc to drive movement in the virtual world.

Does that make sense or am I missing something completely?

I’m sure these guys are doing something in that realm.

GPS isn’t going to be accurate enough for most AR applications, and dead reckoning can help you get an idea, but not spot-on tracking that you expect out of AR.

There are some optical-flow style tracking where, once you’ve determined your orientation, you can track points of high-contrast in your scene to infer your camera. I believe this is how a lot of AR tracking systems are working, while using your sensors as a rough approximation and input for major moves/hinting.

Check out OpenCV if you are interested…
https://docs.opencv.org/3.3.1/d7/d8b/tutorial_py_lucas_kanade.html

1 Like

PS Vita uses a system of unique cards with printed patterns (like simple QR codes) and ties specific elements of a game to a card. For example, there’s a soccer game. One card represents the home goal and another represents the away goal. You can change the size of the pitch by moving the cards further apart. FYI, there’s also cards for the stands, scoreboard, and a few other things.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.