Tablesaw training

As I mentioned earlier in the Table Saw thread, I’ll be running a tablesaw training workshop sometime soon after the 24th of January. Mike will be bottom-lining the event and I am leaving it up to him to schedule the date upon his return from his travels. Due to space constraints in the VHS “woodshop” I will be limiting attendence to 5 people. If more people are interested then I will run additional workshops as needed. There will be no charge for this workshop. Please indicate your interest in this thread once Mike has set a date.

As I’ve mentioned on a few previous occasions, I am of the opinion that the tablesaw is one of the machines at the hackspace that should require competency training and/or demonstration of competence before being allowed to use the saw. Based on some scary posts in the forums and anecdotes relayed to me by others, I think being checked out on the saw is an important safety measure given the potential for serious injury. However, that decision likely has to come from the BOD.

8 Likes

We’ve found a day that works well for both of us; the evening of the 26th of January. I’ll let @Stevemopolis come up with details and such, I’ll keep the doors open; and I look forward to the session!

Please count me as interested. Also, I am a keyholder and am happy to
bottom line this event if it makes scheduling easier.

I’m interested.

I’m interested as well.

I’m interested, and I’m a keyholder willing to open the space for this.

Yes please! Not a keyholder, however.

Hi Everyone. Due to a sudden and unavoidable change in my schedule, I have to move the tablesaw training up one day to Wednesday, January 25th. At this point, the session is at capacity with the following folks attending: @mike, @wander, @Majicj, @InezG and @lukecyca

If any of you folks are unable to attend, let me know so that someone else can fill your slot. For those of you that would like to attend but couldn’t make this session I’ll schedule another workshop sometime in February.

2 Likes

Great! I’m happy to bottomline this event and I’ve put it in the VHS calendar for Jan 25th, starting at 7pm. If that’s not the correct time, let me know and I can change it.

7pm is good. Thanks!

Absolute 100% Grade-A awesome from this. A huge thank you for running this and HIGHLY recommended for the future!

3 Likes

I agree. This was a great session! Definite recommendation for anyone to take this one.

Thanks @Stevemopolis!

1 Like

Wonderful class, highly recommended for all.

I can also highly recommend @Stevemopolis
https://talk.vanhack.ca/users/stevemopolis’s pen turning course!

1 Like

I enjoyed giving the tablesaw workshop. I’m happy to do it again whenever there is a group of people who want to learn basic tablesaw usage and techniques and do it safely and confidently. We’d also have to have a keyholder willing to bottom line the workshop.

As promised, I’m attaching a pdf file of a full-size template for a tablesaw pushstick. I would suggest modifying the pattern so that there is only a 1/4" hook on the base so it is usable with thinner materials. Just print the template and glue it to a scrap piece of 1/2" to 3/4" plywood then cut it out with a bandsaw. As mentioned in the workshop, do NOT make the pushstick out of solid wood as it will likely fracture along the grain under use.

Push Stick 02.pdf (385.9 KB)

5 Likes

Hi @stevemopolis I would love to take your woodshop class next time it’s
offered. I have heard lots of great things about it.

@Stevemopolis, I hope you don’t mind but I took your PDF and made a CAD of it in case anyone wants it that way for whatever purpose.

-Edit, updated to be .25in depth as suggested.

2 Likes

No problem whatsoever. Whatever work best for folks.

I’m still interested in a class, @Stevemopolis do you want to start a new thread or something? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.