Table Saw/Planer Jointer Training and other wood work - workshop plans

Hi All -

I’ll be helping out with signing members off on some of the wood working tools in the shop primarily in the evenings. The first of such sessions will be next Wednesday December 8th starting at 5 pm. There will be a max on 3 people in the workshop and i think there are a few people who have posted in slack saying they are in need to be signed off. The training here will be priced at 40 dollars per tool - with some of proceeds going back to VHS.

I also plan to be offering a cutting board workshop possibly before Christmas if there is interest. Ideally you are checked out on the table saw and jointer and planer before you take this workshop. I will supply a selection of hardwood for you to pick out and process that wood through the miter saw, table saw, glue up, Jointer, Planer, hand held router, and orbital sanding. I will supply you with some finishing oil however that will need to be applied outside of the workshop as oil based finishes are prohibited. Cutting boards are a pretty good beginner wood working project that takes you through most of the basic tools offered in the workshop. The cutting board you make will be yours to keep at the end or give away as a gift if you need. This will be good for members who have been signed off on the tools but haven’t touched them in some time or eventually members who need to be signed off on the tools in the wood shop.

These Cutting Board Workshop will be on a Saturday and will have a 2 hour break in between as the glue sets and dries. This workshop would be priced at $130 - offset by 25 dollars if you are already signed off on the table saw, and another 25 dollars if you are signed off on the jointer/planer. If you aren’t signed off on these tools we’ll get you signed off on the tools if you agree to arrive early so we can go through those tools in more detail. Some of the proceeds of the workshop will go back to VHS. Target date for the first of these workshops would be on December 11th starting at 12 noon. This workshop would be capped at 2 people at a time.

If you happen to find this workshop too cost prohibitive Ruben is still planning to sign off members on the tools at a lower price point during the time he is in the workshop - often during the daytime.

If you have any questions please let me know.

3 Likes

Can you please clarify what you mean by some of the proceeds? VHS is run on a volunteer basis and funds from training on VHS equipment to get people oriented/checked out 100% go to VHS to maintain equipment not at a profit to individual trainers. Not sure if that’s been made clear. Otherwise VHS would be paying everyone for volunteering and we would be a business. If you’re unwilling to do volunteer training then no worries - it’s great Reuben is able to do that. Cheers!

Running a special project workshop like the cutting board is awesome and highly encouraged as it’s a specialized thing and members charge whatever they like for that sort of thing and keep any profit. Other examples include electronics builds like arudino-led kits etc.

3 Likes

My apologies - i should have left the pricing breakdown visible. I had discussed this previously with some other members.

Cost: 130

Material Costs ~ 40 (Cost of lumber, Glue, Mineral oil, Wax, Sandpaper)
Instructor costs ~ 40 (Costs for my time for a 6 hour workshop per student)
Tool Orientation - 50 tablesaw/jointer/planer orientation ← goes to VHS

3 Likes

Ohh! I’ll join the cutting board class! Dec 11 would be perfect for me. I’m also looking for training on the table saw & jointer. If we can do this at the same day, all the better, but I understand if that’s too much.

2 Likes

Count me in for the Wednesday night certifications.
Thanks for your time!

1 Like

May get a check out on the planer only? I can come before or after the training on December 8th.

1 Like

I’m down for wednesday. Thanks.

1 Like

Cool - I think we’re booked out on Wednesday’s class at this point. Time permitting we might try and sneak a session in before Christmas.

1 Like

Sorry… may I ask for clarification as to whether I am in for the jointer/planer checkout on December 8th? If not, I will wait for the next one but would appreciate a clarity so that I don’t make an unnecessary trip. Also just to be clear - I have gone through woodworking courses elsewhere before so I guess I only need a checkout instead of a training.

Yes @Roy we can start with the jointer/planer first and then everyone else can move on to table saw as needed.

@Phillip_Ma Great. I will come at 4:40PM on Wed. Dec. 8th. Thanks!

Could you please provide the link where I can donate $40 for the training yesterday?

no problem. On the membership page there is a one time donation to vhs link about halfway down the page. Alternatively you can add something to the donation box at the lockers in the lounge.

Donation is completed! Thank you so much, Philip. It was an awesome training. I thought I knew the planer/Jointer already but apparently I learned something new!

Hello @Phillip_Ma,

Will you be offering any more of these workshops?

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.