Spare cards from my shopbot PRT alpha

Hi all, I have a couple of cards left over from my control box upgrade which I am giving away to anybody who might have a use for them. The one pictured is a communication card USB to serial. Its probably not relevant anymore but maybe there are some components on there which are useful? The other card is the 8 axis control board to run the shopbot control software (free and open source) and relate that to the various motors. I think it needs to be inspected for a possible communication problem.

These might be a great way to construct an 8 axis robot, or just be interesting to inspect and get ideas from.

1 Like

I would greatly appreciate it if you would send me the cards. I’m old electrical and computer systems project engineer that served the Air Force (Active Duty Military - Captain) and later Navy (Federal Civil Service - GS-12). I’ve been a ShopBot customer and owner (PRT upgraded to PRT Alpha) since 2005. The USB/Controller board that you pictured above is from the ancient PRT prior to an Alpha upgrade. Although a dinosaur of CNC technology I am using my old PRT and stepping motors to demonstrate CNC technology as it has evolved to students as show and tell to motivate them to look into CAD/CNC/CAM career field. I am running the old control board and my five stepper motors by USB to Serial and with older compatible PRT software on an XP computer. I’d like to get your old PRT cards for touchy-feely in my CAD presentations to students. Please let me know if they are still available and email me at allunited@bellsouth.net. If you have the old PC-like case for the cards and stepping motors I’d like to get them also. Thanks and have a great weekend.

Hi Kevin, the cards are from my PRT alpha which I bought in 2005. It came with the aluminum case like they currently have. I did not ever have a PRT or the kind with the PC case like you describe. I think those had the gecko drivers in them. This board ran the Oriental motors Vexta alpha steppers.

Anyways I don’t even know where they are now so I am sorry to inform you of that. I either brought them into the Hackspace here in Vancouver, handed them off to somebody or tossed them into the electronics recycling bin in my building.

cheers, Jon