Someone(s) mounted the old laser tube and programmed it to "fire" on command

This is amazing. Thanks @packetbob and @JDMc.

Can we put a microphone on it and have it pulse with audio? :smiley:

On that note I found this:

Found some knockoff microphones with AGC on AliExpress…
Got some coming and perhaps this will be in V2.0…

Though I did get a bunch of acrylic tube bits from @Gonazar and might try to set up a similar thing with tubes instead of squares… Wondering about trying to sandblast them to get a frosted effect…

1 Like

OMG I love that

Just need some cheap hunks of 1/2" plexi…

With the help of @Lefty, the laser tube now has some basic firmware to “fire” the laser.
It has four states: Idle, Charging, Charged, and Firing, that have corresponding sounds and light animations.

The tube can currently be fired by pressing the toggle switch on the tube control panel, or by logging in through a web interface. There are plans to make a standalone firing button as well.

That’s pretty much the basic functionality I was shooting for (;)) for the Breakfast Televison spot. A few more ideas in the works for Maker Faire and eventually the wall mounting at the space.

3 Likes

I have lots, some of it is 0.75 inches thick

Video Please!!!
Just wanted to thank @JDMc and @Lefty for taking on the programming…
I was pretty much stuck at just running the strand test code…
If possible please get a copy of the video clip…
I’m out of town for the next week so won’t be able to watch it…

I love the idea of a stand alone wireless firing button…
Though a red one would be best I do have a green one we can use…

2 Likes

I saw it in action earlier when I dropped off some stuff. Looks and sounds
awesome!

Having seen it in the “flesh” now, I’m amazed! Great job! @packetbob and @JDMc now have their Someone Did badges!

https://talk.vanhack.ca/badges/123/someone-did

2 Likes

Pretty sure @Lefty needs the badge too - he did a significant portion of the software.

1 Like

done!

1 Like

I’ll drop the laser off tonight
We can figure out where to mount it
@TomKeddie donated a big red button so I will mount it on a box along with an ESP-01 so that it can be used to trigger the tube

2 Likes

In theory, @xquared and I have a button that should do that already. Just need the Wi-Fi at the space.

a button that needs to be mounted to a box

FYI…
I started to put the brackets back on yesterday…
Left it on top of the solder station benches…
I plan to mount it vertically at the top of the column to the left of the TV…
Then will make (less someone else beats me to it) a Wi-Fi enabled big switch…
Then we just need some code to glue the two together and perhaps have it turn off based on time of day or ???

3 Likes

I got some rudimentary code working for a party cat, the turning it off idea could be pretty good

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.