Solder Paste dispenser - Call for donations

For some reason I thought that it belonged to you @TomKeddie

I’ll do that this coming Tuesday

2 Likes

I|f it’s duff, London Drugs have a new toaster oven on sale right now.

http://www.londondrugs.com/Black-Decker-4-Slice-Toaster-Oven---TO1322SBD/L7773583,default,pd.html

That’s the same oven I used… It is a nice size…

1. The internal volume is too large, leading to slow heat-up times
  2. One of the heaters was shattered

I took some parts (heat insulated wires) out of it and put it into the three-week-bin yesterday.

Sad day.

Thanks for looking into that.

Since a “used” toaster oven has all sorts of unwanted guck in it I’ll grab one of the ovens from LD that Janet posted about earlier and donate it to the space with the plan that someone can build a controller for it…

2 Likes

I’ll put $20 towards the controller kit from Whizoo.

@packetbob - thanks for doing that! I’m still in for donating to the solder
paste dispenser as well.

Thanks, I’ve been trying to navigate the Taobao maze … It’s very hard for me to recognize knock-offs and scams from good products.

I’m trying to get someone who is fluent in Cantonese to help me, or alternatively someone who is experienced with shopping on Taobao. The other option is to ask @TomKeddie if he can buy it during his trip to China in the summer and ship it to us from there (so that we don’t take up his valuable luggage space).

I currently have on my shopping list:

• Hakko FX-888D soldering iron
  • Solder paste dispenser YDL-983A
  • misc. components (LED strips, large 7 segment LEDs, Touchscreen panels, assorted SMD components, silicone hook up wires, multimeter)

No worries - I can’t even begin to imagine navigating Taobao. I tried once but gave up pretty quick. :smile:
Thanks forkeeping the ball rolling.

http://www.tricorderproject.org/blog/towards-a-simple-solder-paste-extruder/

very interesting.

Hector, Unless I can get my cousin to receive something for me I’m just going to use bhiner again and collect in Shenzhen. Given my language abilities I’m not sure I would do any better than they would for international shipping. I do know an agent who speaks english, not sure that would be a good price though - they like to send 20kg+.

If you can take it across to HK, you will find the HK parcel post is quite
good. It provides tracking and is “inexpensive”

I did this trek with my luggage last time, lots of stairs and crowds. I might do this for myself but I’m not sure I’d do it even for love!

My offer to pick up the dispenser for the group stands but I’m not sure I can handle more than this.

@hectorh
I have dropped of the oven at the Space. It’s still in it box at the top of the shelf at the west end of the soldering benches…

To build mine I essentially followed Controleo3 Reflow Oven Build Guide – Whizoo Electronics though added a few things:

• added an internal back panel (used some aluminum) and sandwiched insulation between the two
  • added an internal bottom panel (used the crumb pan that comes with it) and sandwiched insulation between the two.
  • wrapped the outside of the oven chamber with insulation
  • added a thermal cutout inline with power to shut off if things get too hot
  • added a servo to crack open door for cooling (not really needed)
  • replaced line cord with something more heavy duty

I have insulation you can use and lots of pictures of when I built mine…

The only thing I would love to ad is some internal lighting so you can watch it reflow…

2 Likes

Reviving this thread, should we start a tilt to close this off?

I suggesting we buy http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.4.1Dh4wj&id=16288950107&ns=1&_u=k1sfp74rf5de&abbucket=17#detail

CNY288+10shipping = ~$CAD60. I think I will be ok with the shipping but it is hard to tell. It weights 3.5kg which is a significant chuck of 23kg bag. Hong Kong post would be about $33.

The unit will be 220V, I converted mine to 110V, there is a centre tap on the transformer.

Perhaps it is easier to buy this for $135

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Auto-Glue-Dispenser-Solder-Paste-Liquid-Controller-Dropper-YDL-983A-Dispensing-system/757892187.html

Re-Reviving thread.

Both look the same, but there’s a huge price difference.

I think we have at least $140 committed to this, so perhaps just go for the aliexpress one?

I’m sorry to day this didn’t happen. It is hard to describe the issues one faces with language and cultural barriers. I ended up pay $150 for shipping for a bunch of my stuff that missed the boat. I think aliexpress is probably the best idea (unless those Fraser Valley guys are going ahead with that container).

No worries, I’m going to see if I can get a good deal on aliexpress from a vendor that owes me a favour

This solder paste dispenser is on sale right now for $125.40 CA

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P179-YDL-983A-Professional-Precise-Digital-Auto-Glue-Dispenser/1957571389.html

Cheapest I have seen for a while…