Shelves on Tracks idea

I’ve always wondered about the viability of a system like this at VHS.

I periodically see similar systems being given away on Craigslist and I’ve been thinking this might be away to get a lot of storage out of limited space.

1 Like

If you see one of these on Craigslist again, Please post.
I am sure at least some of us would be interested. I would take one myself.

I was thinking of a moving cabinate before, but that requires parts. If you see a mobile shelving unit please post.

Thx

Needs a “low precision” linear guide.
Where can we find “cheap linear guide and rollers”?

Recirculating ball
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-Steel-Sliding-Block-MGN12H-Linear-Guide-Block-For-CNC-XYZ-DIY-43-26-10mm/32794769089.html?spm=2114.40010708.4.1.L6fJ3m
https://www.hepcomotion.com/product/linear-motion-components/hlg-mlg-linear-ball-guide-rail-carriage/

roller

Where to mount the linear guide in/on the floor? Or on the wall enabling a smooth floor, but requiring floor rollers in addition?

This is not something I would recommend for DIY. These things get heavy enough that you need to place them carefully in multistorey buildings to avoid floor loading issues.

And the tracks would get clogged/dirty.

For light loads they will be fine. Plan is to rebuild it into a clothes
closet.

But filling them to their weight capacity with books is probably not such a
wise idea, without checking the load baring capacity of the floor.

craigslist | canada posted today, why I remembered my old idea. I had years ago hacked together bookshelves in my closest. Actually now that I think about it, this would make an excellent clothes closest system.

Yes weight is something you have to think about. From what I remember under 50 lbs/sqf is usually considered your load limits in most office buildings. After that you need to get professional advice. Ground floor on a concrete floor is much higher and areas zoned as warehouses are even higher. (No not the city zoning the design of the building during construction). My biggest problem with my old system was that it was installed not on rollers but wheels, which ran on the rug. Had a pretty low load limit before the rug bound up the wheels.

Getting clogged/dirty isn’t something you have to be paranoid about.

Thx, for the craigslist ad.

These at 10’ are way to big for home usage. And will be need to be
disassembled. But really just want the framing steel and track roller
system. But the problem is I expect the track is very short. I want 18’ of
track to move the closet anywhere in the room. Which means new track,
because it is wise to keep the number of track joins to a minimum.

This might actually work much better in the hackspace as shelving storage
units. Perhaps to replace our electronic and parts shelving.

Our office is open Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. so you have all the time in between you need. They are part of a library that we are not taking with us when we move later in the summer.

Thanks,
Jacquie

Does VHS want these? If we do, then we will need to dissemble them and perhaps rebuild them into 5’ wide units or even shorter.

In any case, need to take a look at the system and track to see how much work it is to dissemble them and rebuild them into shorter units. And will it be possible to get replacement track and glides.

It might be rip up the tracks and remove the glides and take the rest to the dumpster.

Thoughts?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.