Sewing Machine Maintenance Day

VHS is a wonderful place with awesome tools. It’s easy to get caught up in making cool projects that one forgets that the tools we use need some care and love to keep them running. If you see something in need of a little love and maintenance please take it on. We’ll all appreciate it!

Anyways there are a number of sewing machines that needed some cleaning, oiling and lithium grease and some tension adjustments.

Today @Janet and myself spent the afternoon plumbing the depths of sewing machine repairs! I knew nothing about this when we started! It was a fun learning experience and now I know a bit more about the Singer 5805 machine.

Janet worked on the Kenmore and tackled the even more complex task of fixing the bobbin thread tension!

You can find out about VHS sewing machines on our Wiki

I worked on Singer and Janet tackled the Kenmore

Below are some pics!

Singer 5805 with the user manual

Top Cover removed to add Lithium grease to the proper spots (gears mostly)

Side cover removed to allow sewing machine oil to be added at the points specified in the User manual

Bottom cover removed again for lithium grease. Belt looks in good shape.

Front and back of sewing test strip. Thread tension looks good. We did notice that stitch type (Straight, Zig Zag, etc) , type of thread (Bobbin and Top) and material thickness all affected the stitch quality. It is very important that you “dial in” your settings on this machine before you begin work on your project!

Front

Back

Janet applying sewing machine oil

4 Likes

It was a fun afternoon of sewing machine cleaning. Thanks to @Majicj for jumping in. Nothing is more satisfying than cleaning out a pile of dust and getting a machine working again. Both were pretty filthy. Pics below. Thanks to @wander for lending us some excellent sewing books. I hope to do more machine maintenance soon. If you are interested in sewing machine repair feel free to join in. I know it sounds boring but sewing machines are amazing on the inside and it’s very satisfying to fix them up.

!
Sewing Machine maintenance books from Andrew.

Mmmm delicious random filth.

!
Some nasty old grease Mark had to clean up. Much better now!

!
This old needle was bent sideways at the tip. Now replaced!

!
Mark digging around for more delicious filth under the needle plate.

!
This drive belt was in perfect shape! Hooray!

!
I managed not to lose any bits although I did think I had an extra screw for a bit.

You’re gonna need some bigger thread. Needle under the scope.

I completely forgot to take a pic of the Kenmore at the end. It is now clean, oiled, and seems to be sewing well. I also forgot to take a pic of the needle plate. It had a bunch of burrs on it so I sanded them off with some sandpaper and water.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.