Server Room Items

The server room is becoming a firehazard, a tripping hazard and just plain dangerous and we need to clean it up…
As a start I’d like to determine what to do with a few items…
I’m sure the sysop peoples will have input…

I’ll start with some low hanging fruit:

VoIP Phones
We have two boxes of these that are not being used and have bene around for quite a while…
I believe they are Amazon donations so can’t be sold…
I think these are different that the ones @JohnC talked about…
I think they should go in the freecycle pile

PoE Injectors
Again been around for a long time and I believe they are Amazon donations so can’t be sold…
Should go in the free pile…

Old Servers
I believe these were Amazon donations so same rules apply…
There have never been used and are a hazard…

I believe all of these items can be disposed of but would love to find out about any uses and actual plans to do so…

4 Likes

I believe those servers are the same model that @JohnC was working with and @KittyCat maybe knew something about, see slack thread:

Sounds like the 240V power requirements are a bit prohibitive. Did a 240V connection in the server room happen? Does it even make sense or will this just overheat?

Yup. We have a new 240V receptacle in the server room. One of those servers is currently up and running some of the VHS infrastructure @TyIsI posted on #vhs-it-ops last week:

"Now 3+ hours into moving vms over from the vmware server to the amazon/proxmox server. The vmware server is in the process of dying.

We’ll need to get at least 2 sfps asap so I can connect the the other network interface to management and finish up moving the management vms."

1 Like

meow?

2 Likes