Safety Training and Orientation for New Member

Hello,
I am a new member hoping to arrange a training and orientation session. When would someone be able to assist me?

Thanks,
Harman Khungura

1 Like

Hi Harman, which tools are you hoping to be trained on specifically?

2 Likes

I would like training on the lathe, mill, and any large saws that you have.

1 Like

If it’s ok to have multiple people on the training at once, I’d like to piggyback on Harman’s training too. Lathe, mills, and saws for me as well.

Thanks!
Todd

2 Likes

@AvestecMechEng, I can give you an orientation of the space if you’re available tomorrow afternoon (Friday). I won’t be able to provide you with any machine training, since other people usually handle that, but since you’re brand new members the first things you should do are 1. Introduce yourself here: https://talk.vanhack.ca/t/vhs-homework-assignment-5-introduce-yourself and 2. Come by and see the space in-person.

1 Like

I would like training on the lathe, mill, and any large saws that you have.

@Billiam is generally the one who trains on the manual mill and lathe, and I can show you the ropes on the cutting stuff in the welding shop. We just took delivery of a 7x12 horizontal bandsaw, although it needs coolant and some adjustment before it’s full speed ahead, and that should happen this weekend.

I believe @winegummo would be the one to talk to about getting trained on the 40 60 CNC mill, and the Grizzlies are still in the process of being set up.

There is a table saw and a sliding compound mitre saw in the wood shop, and you should ask on the #woodworking channel on Slack about getting trained on those.

2 Likes

Hi @AvestecMechEng and @todd.chisholm ,

I’ll look at my calendar, and double check other training requests, then let you know what I can do training sessions. The lathe and mill are typically trained separately, but depending on your own machining backgrounds, it can be as simple as a shop orientation / machine quirks (for apprentices / journeymen for example) or as detailed as “this is how the tool is actually cutting the material”. Those sessions run longer, typically about 3-4 hours.

With the current Covid restrictions, the machine shop sessions are one on one only, as maintaining adequate separation in the 120 sf room is difficult. I do run an exhaust fan as well as forced air to try to keep things safe, on top of mask wearing.

I’ll check with the people managing the “space booking page” to see if we can create entries for training sessions; that may make it easier to book, and keep track of them.

You can reach me here, or on slack ( Billiam ) if you have any questions,

Welcome!

3 Likes

Hello @Billiam,

I’d like to schedule a training session with you as soon as possible.
I do have machining experience with both mills and lathes in the past but will comply with any multi hour training session.

Secondly, could someone assist me with joining the slack server?

1 Like

Sure. DM me your email address.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.