Safety Reminder & Rocket League request

Paul has been my guest at Tuesday night open houses for a few weeks, making noise in the wood shop. It inspired him to save up and get his own table saw.

Yesterday we were going to get into our regular game of Rocket League but he cut himself on his new table saw and now has seven stitches in his thumb. He will get better and probably have a cool scar.

So! Be a Lert, the world needs more lerts.

Also, if you are into RL hit me up, I’m looking for new team mates. Currently Legend Gold 2.

I’m sorry to hear that your friend had an accident on the tablesaw. May I ask what he was doing on the saw when it happened and how he hurt himself? This could be a learning experience for other users.

1 Like

Hey Dan,

The use of the table saw is restricted to members only. We probably haven’t done a great job communicating or enforcing this policy, so it’s understandable that you wouldn’t know, but please don’t invite non-members to use it. Thanks!

1 Like

Sorry to hear that Dan, was he alone (anyone else to shout for help)?

It looks like he cut himself at his home, is that correct?

TIL. Thanks.

yes, cut himself at home. clarified original post to reflect this.

sorry to hear your buddy cut his hand, and you are down a Rocket League teammate.
thanks for bringing up the issue of being alert and safe though, we are working on fostering a better safety culture at the hackspace.

Table saws are scary beasts. Glad he has just stitches!

3 Likes

Whoops, looks like I’ve got a case of the Mondays, and…

Dan, thank you for reporting that, even though it wasn’t at the space. @Stevemopolis is an excellent instructor, and even though I had used a table saw before, I found his instruction highly rewarding and useful. If your friend is not afraid of his table saw and plans to use it in the future, I recommend having him get training.

On that point, knowing what was being attempted and why he suffered an injury is a great way to both help others prevent injury, and access how he can remain safe in the future.

To that point, I remember used to have a members only sign on the shop; anyone know where that is?

2 Likes

we could just make another one.

1 Like

RFID tablesaw lockout.

1 Like

For “dangerous” tools, should they be used only when:
(1) Someone else is in the space (to call for help)
(2) Equipped with “Saw Stop” technology (http://www.sawstop.ca/)

I’d be happy to get a sawstop, but found it incredibly difficult to funraise any amount for any table saw. If you want to head this up, I’ll be the first in line to contribute toward it.

Sawstops don’t protect against the most common table saw injury; kickback; training and vigilance is still necessary for any tool, powered or not.

4 Likes

:point_up: very much that

you can’t put saw stop on everything dangerous.

@Rebel_without_Clause, as for using it when there is someone else in the space, i would say use your common sense. if you don’t feel comfortable with a tool, say, for the first few times after getting training, feel free to ask someone experience to spot you.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.