RFC: VHS AV Setup

I’d like to throw out an idea and see what people think.

When @Stevemopolis invited me to the Woodturners guild, I noticed they had a nice video feed set up with projectors. That’s how they were able to present something that requires an up-close view to a room full of people.

I would love VHS to have the ability to set up a multi-camera system, microphone, and audio system to be able to aid in presentations. As a bonus, this would help us maintain more distancing for events, which is likely to be something valued fir public health for awhile.

Ideally we’d have a live edit station, multiple cameras and the ability to project the result. Recording and Streaming could be done on a per-event basis with some sort of agreed upon warning and notice if filming, otherwise live projection locally with no persisting data would be the default.

With the recent items from the Amazon donation, I feel like we are about half way to this goal, and I imagine there’s probably other hardware we can scrounge.

Ultimately, it would be awesome to have things like: sewing, chain mail making, soldering, calligraphy, etc as something we could teach more than 1:1.

Thoughts, opinions, ideas, detractions? I’d love to hear them all.

4 Likes

This is a great idea! I think we can handle any privacy issues related to the cameras by covering them up when they’re not in use (and in the woodshop this is probably prudent anyway to protect the cameras from wood dust accumulation), or having a manual disconnect (e.g. power switch) for the devices.

Additionally, after @yeungx 's CPU pin-bending livestream as a technology demonstration, it’s clear that we can definitely leverage our social media to have some really great community outreach and online content, and to potentially connect VHS with other hackerspaces globally!

2 Likes

I had the assumption we’d just store them when not in use, but having them set up in useful locations would lower the barrier to entry for hosting.

1 Like

With OBS (a tool primarily used for streaming), it would be fairly easy to set both up. You could dedicate a monitor for viewing the output and have a terminal/keyboard with some shortcuts that allow you to easily switch between camera angles.

Output view could be a monitor/tv or a projector.

Barring full release/consent from participants; bonus points for if we use the VHS Twitch channel. We could save VODs of any streams.

3 Likes

Yeah, OBS was my intended idea. A few capture cards wouldn’t cost the world and would give us a lot to work with.

You can use an old phone as an IP camera. Or even a Go-Pro. And - unless I’m mistaken - most cameras do support streaming over USB. I wouldn’t even - or at least initially - bother with going all out. I’d figure out what works first and then plan for the super set up.

2 Likes

I actually had a similar setup for the woodturning presentation set up at our current location before we moved in. There are some pains and stability problems with the iPhone NDI streaming but maybe it’s better 2 years later.

1 Like

Is anyone concerned over perm installation with covers? That idea seem convenient

1 Like

I’m not at all. I like the covers idea as folks who are concerned even when streaming is off can see visually that cameras are covered. Also good plan on the dust protection.

1 Like

I’d mostly worry about that a standard setup is not standard for everyone

1 Like

I was thinking more to have pre-run cables so we could attach cameras where appropriate for the specific event, plus whatever event runs. Having a good source of long run cables that didn’t break the bank would be important, maybe a first step is a road box with all the equipment and expand if it is popular

2 Likes

I love the idea.
Bikeshed (bikecart?) time… how cartable is this setup? Like could we have a small AV cart with the computer, a camera stand, perhaps a small monitor that could be wheeled into any area of the hackspace?

2 Likes

Something suggested on #video on slack is to use an ATEM switcher. This would massively simplify setup and operation and make it portable; just options.

1 Like

love the idea and just want to add that we do hsve a youtube channel if people think that wohld useful.

1 Like

I’ve reached out to our neighbors at annex pro to see if they have any lightly broken stuff we could fix to help us flesh this out

1 Like

I do have a ATEM 4 k production switcher i am willing to long term loan to the VHS. I was thinking of building a road case around it for easy setup and take down.

2 Likes

That would certainly make a lot of things easy!!!

I’d appreciate anyone interested in helping set this up to join #video on slack and I’ll start coordinating drafting a slightly more official proposal.

2 Likes

The Greater Vancouver Woodturners Guild, and most other woodturning groups and demonstrating turners, use a software mixer called vMix running on laptops with 3 or 4 (or more) webcams attached. Very affordable and portable.

3 Likes

I have a rack-mounted Blackmagic HD video mixer that I’m not using. Six inputs (hdmi and sdi), clock sync output, can be controlled over network and via usb keyboard or any other usb control device that emulates a keyboard, has control monitor out, main video output (hdmi and sdi) and hardware h.264 encoder with the stream output via usb. As well as all the fancy fades and chroma keying, picture in picture, etc. Basically OBS without the worries of skipped frames due to cpu overload. Paid over $2k a few years ago for it.

2 Likes