Hi all, I’m interested in any ideas people may have for how we can reduce the level of dust in the space so that members can enjoy a cleaner and healthier space in which to work. Less dust also means less time cleaning, and more time hacking.
Dust comes from everywhere, but especially from the following sources:
- Woodshop, especially sanding and cutting
- Existing dust in the building
- Ventilation ducts
Some ways we can currently reduce dust:
- Run the ambient air filter in the woodshop
- Always use the dust extraction when using power tools
- Leave the doors closed unless necessary (i.e. for cooling until we figure out how to cool the space down more effectively)
- Dust the top of the ducts, use a high efficiency furnace filter (done) and change it frequently.
- Education: make sure people know to use the dust extraction, clean with a vacuum instead of compressed air, etc.
What are some possible improvements we can do to reduce dust in the future?
- Buy one or two more ambient dust filters for the wood shop, automate them based on airborne particulate levels?
- Upgrade and automate the dust extractor (working on this)
If you have any suggestions, please post here! Thanks!