Radio Practice

So, I’ve had my radio license since November, and I haven’t used it to talk to anybody yet. I’d prefer to practice with some other folks in the same boat – has anybody who took the course used their radio yet?

I’d be interested in practicing with people, maybe using Slack or something else to chat in case we can’t hear each other.

I’d like to get some practice in so that I can use my radio properly when I go camping. I’ve been thinking about using it to check in when ( and if ) I can access a repeater, when I don’t have cell phone signal. It’d be nice to be able to do that without having to worry about messing up and having people upset with me :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve had my license for a few years but haven’t been all that active. Certainly willing to set up a scheduled contact with anyone and try to help make it happen. It’s easy to just say let’s meet on the VE7NSR (or any other local) repeater at whatever time. Or we could try to set up a simplex contact (or net), but a handheld at 5W will only have a few KM range that way.

No need to fear messing up checking into a net though, most of them are really casual and particularly friendly to beginners.

There was some talk about a VHS-ARC net on one of the local repeaters some months ago, but I think that sort of died off around the move.

I have also had my license for a bit but haven’t really used it…
However my old Kenwood TH-26 has crapped out so I have to shop around for a new unit…
Anyone have any recommendations on a unit and a place to purchase…

Ditto… had my license for a couple of years but don’t use it much. “Mike fright” is very common.

The owners of VE7NSR (North Shore Amateur Radio Club) kindly gave us permission to use the repeater for our own net.

That never happened, but setting a regular time for VHS ARC to chat and practice radio craft would be great.

We just need to set a date and time.

PS For radios I’ve been surprised how good the cheap Chinese radios are. Get them locally from Fleetwooddp.com, or Amazon.com.

Miklor.com is a good resource for reviews of Chinese radios.

73 VE7FTO

Ian

I know Wednesday is out because that’s when Vector does their net. Tuesday probably won’t work for folks because that’s when the VHS open house is. What about Thursday?

I think Thursday evenings is a good time to get on the air and chat.

Every other Thursday is NSARC club night, so I can join every other Thursday.

Ian

(Sent from a mobile device. I apologize for the brevity.)

I just want to point out the irony of using an instant worldwide communication network to schedule a chat over the radio.

So, I got busy and forgot about this for a while.

I think it’s too late to try and organize something for tonight, but would next Thursday work for folks?

Is Thursday still a good day for people?

Thursday’s aren’t great for me because I’m at the NSARC meeting 2 Thursdays a month… but I can do the other 2 Thursdays in the month.

73 Ian VE7FTO