Project Purgatory aka How To Manage Your Project Backlog?

I’ve been meaning to make this post for a while now and instead, it just kept on lingering in my mental projects pile, but enough of that…

Recently I asked around on Slack what people used for project management of all the projects that they have going, which got me a few answers. Personally, I have a few just spinning through my head, some I’ve put in Todoist, some are in my project bag, and some I just rely on others to remind me of them, but there has to be a better way. @Jarrett told me he used a spreadsheet to log where he is in projects and @Janet mentioned that she used Trello for this.

So, fellow hackers! How do you hack your project piles? Any tips, tricks and suggestions?

2 Likes

No tricks but I use a Goggle document (so i can view it from anywhere) that I list all my projects and break them down into steps that can be accomplished in what I consider reasonable…

Do you link/section the different projects so you can have an overview of them or do you just roughly know everything and scroll through it when needed be?

one of my projects is to make a linked list of projects/dependencies/parts/etc but right now it is all in a big document…

one thing i did accomplish last year was to make a list of all my parts and where they are… i ended up using partsbox.io for this and while it took a while I can now find stuff and more importantly i know what i have now… it’s free and I really like it…

with partbox i am tracking 630 distinct parts located in over 83 seperate locations (think I have over 10,000 part which sounds impressive but a small bag of resistors can easily be 500)… over 80 of the parts have directly linked spec sheets which can be handy…

so while it hasn’t help directly with projects it has helped with the bits for them…

1 Like

My spreadsheets were inspired by the book Getting Things Done by David Allen.

It’s possible that there are more nuggets of wisdom in there, but I never actually finished the book.

1 Like

All my projects are drawn out in a sketchbook - the bigger, the better, with every page dated for reference. This gets them out of my head somewhat so I can focus on the tasks at hand.

The projects that manifested into physical things are kept in shoe boxes like those at VHS. Each one is labelled by project and year. I find online “helpers” to be anything but helpful.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.