Poll: Proposal Buy an air filtration unit for the main area

Hi everyone, I propose that VHS immediately buys another air filter to be installed in the main area to help cut down on the amount of dust. I believe if we install one of these in the main area we will see an immediate improvement in the amount of dust settling on everything and this will benefit all users of the space. Anyone strongly opposed to this? $500

Woodshop dust extraction is not close to being completed any time soon, but this is an immediate step we can take.

When I worked at Science World the exhibits workshop (which is a similar size and configuration to VHS with woodworking, electronics, machine shop etc) we saw huge reduction in the amount of dust settling on everything when we installed a few of these.

POLL: Should VHS buy one? (Poll will close in a few days.)

• Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

Strongly in favour!

This is also a great opportunity to remind folks to turn on the woodshop one when they are working in there, especially if they are sanding.

1 Like

Hey I changed this post to a poll. If you don’t mind please cast a vote @ddq

1 Like

We have ample room in the “building upgrades” budget to pay for this. I’m in favour.

3 Likes

Its pretty amazing how quickly the one in the woodshop will clear out the air when sanding - particularly when the filter is changed. Definately in favour

1 Like

Hell yes. Thanks for raising this.

1 Like

Just curious how noisy is it?

2 Likes

The product page says 64dB, which is approximately the volume of a normal conversation

1 Like

For reference, the filtration unit in the woodshop at it’s highest setting measures about 64 dB on the wood shop sound meter when there is no other activity in the wood or metal shops (I just checked).

3 Likes

Question: Is it better to upgrade filtration in the woodshop to a higher capacity unit and use the existing woodshop filter in the main part of the space? i.e. put more cash into dealing with the main dust source?

Edit: I know the laser is also a dust source, not putting that all on the woodshop!

1 Like

Not sure, but that’s a great idea

Is there a bigger until the next size up at KMS that would fit in whatever cash we have left for the fiscal year end?

1 Like

This one is also on sale and is higher cfms (1400). https://www.kmstools.com/king-industrial-dust-filtration-system-1and-44-400-cfm.html

Roughly the same dbs and weight.

Edit: bother, the closest one is in Abbotsford.

1 Like

Nice. Yeah I chose the one in the link since they have one available in Coquitlam. Also I set an arbitrary limit of $500 in my head. We don’t need the perfect solution, just an improvement over what we have. Since there was unanimous approval of the one I linked to in my original post I’ll go ahead and try to buy one of these as soon as possible for the space and hopefully bring it in by the weekend.

Ok I’ve ordered it and I’ll try to pick it up tomorrow from KMS tools in Coquitlam

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for doing that.

1 Like

It’s here!

3 Likes

Awesome. Where do you think would be best to hang it?

I was thinking somewhere near that ceiling outlet above the main table. Just need to get some bigger eye screws to go into the joists. Either that or attach a couple of pieces of unistrut to the ceiling and use some eye bolts

1 Like

Sounds good - I’m at Crappy Tire tonight - will nab some (I’m not in until sunday but can bring then).

Let me know if it’s preferable to have forged eyebolts instead.

I’ve picked up some eye bolts and shackles so that we can hang this one from the ceiling with chain (the same way the one in the woodshop is hanging). I’ll drop off this hardware tomorrow morning.

I have submitted an expense claim for $561.28 for this air cleaner.

2 Likes