Please don't use electronics bench for metalwork

It appears that someone has been using the electronics bench to hacksaw something metallic with the jewellers saws.

1. Everything was left abandoned. Tools were not put away
  2. Zero cleaning was done so electronics bench is covered in a film of fine metallic dust
  3. Zero attempt was made to clean the rest of the bench.

This is an electronics bench. Metallic filings will contaminate pcbs being reflowed in the oven. Working on soldering stuff is also an issue.

We have metal shop and the bench in the machine shop where you can work on metal.

This is not your personal space where you whatever inappropriate thing you want and then just drop your shit and walk away.

Anyways I’ve left it as I found. Please come back and clean it up, put your stuff away and be a little more respectful of the space,

7 Likes

Yeah, seconding this sentiment. This is 100% stuff that should be being done in the welding shop.

Also, this is your weekly reminder to budget roughly a half-hour for cleanup at the end of your hackspace time. Set an alarm so that you don’t have to remember!

4 Likes

The space is contaminated.

I don’t think the person understands how destructive metal dust, filing and other particles are to electronics.

Please treat the electronics fab area as low particle clean area.

4 Likes

This is fixable. To the person who did this, please go back to the space as soon as you can and fix your mistake.

But know this: we love you, and all of us have made mistakes.

You don’t need to out yourself, we won’t go hunting for you.

4 Likes

Shit, this was me. My apologies, I should have known better. I was working on repairing the retractable air hose reel and a bunch of other stuff in different areas in the space yesterday and totally forgot I was working in the electronics area and I forgot to clean up there. Obviously I should have moved the vise somewhere else first and not done the cutting there.

10 Likes

Hey thanks for piping up and also apologizing. It’s easy to get distracted at the space I know. Appreciate you doing all these repair things.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.