Plastic extruder

this is probably V1.0.

intent: To build a small extruder capable of melting thermoplastics for the purpose of recycling used containers into usuable new material.

history: its based on a bunch extruders i have been checking out the last 6 years. originally i thought i would make filament but now i am ghinking of making pellets for molds.

current:

still to do: build hopper. lathe bearing mount. drill out nozzle. motor mount. install timing belt and motir. build control box. install heating bands. weld barrel.

6 Likes

small amount of progress

6 Likes

control box with motor mounted inside.

7 Likes

doing some more control box work.
upgrade the hopper funnel to accept aluminum angle as a mounting baracket
welded up the hopper (no picture do to embarrassing booger welds)

3 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

little bit by little bit the extruder progresses. hope to be done soon. would like to have my kitchen island back.

4 Likes

Are you gonna heat the extruder shaft or are you relying on pressure ?

Cool build

this version has PID controlled heater bands.Iā€™m just using a 1" auger bit right now but i have thoughts of setting up a 4th access on the Girzzly and machine a proper extruder auger. But thats wayyyyy down the priority list

Got some lathe work done and finished up the bearing mount

5 Likes

Super cool, would love to see it at work.

1 Like

New motor mount machined on the 6040

3 Likes

Slowly getting there.

3 Likes

2 Likes

looking good. any plans to build that into an eventual injection molding machine?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.