Piccolo "CNC"

If you order another batch I’ll take 2 of them (only 1 if others require the rest)…

I’m planning to order a clone from ebay, they’re half the price.

Try a quarter:http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20141209113813&SearchText=arduino+pro+micro

A fine deal if you want to make 2 or 3 of these! (my kids already added it to their Xmas list) Any issues buying from vendors on Ali Express? Or is the process pretty much the same as any other Asian vendor from eBay, for example?

I use AliExpress all the time, no complaints.

OK, ten more pcb’s on the way. So far I think the extra’s are:
@funvill
@packetbob
Anyone else … ?

I would like to get in on this if there is still a chance.

Done. For further requests, I’ll keep track of names and only post the list when there’s only 2 or 3 left.

perhaps @jon can help us with a Hobby King order, I think he gets good prices there. My preference is to build as designed, I think I will use all acrylic as I don’t want to look around for 3mm wood.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem to be much of a discount offered on those, they’re still over 7$/servo. They seem well spec’d - not sure what we can safely skimp on and what we shouldn’t.

What timeline are we thinking on this? as the frame needs to be lasercut, I’m assuming that this won’t happen until the new space/ new year?

I can take on the hobbyking side of the group buy.

There are 3 members at VHS with laser cutters. Cutting the case shouldn't be what holds up this process. I would think that getting the parts will be the delay.

I'm excited!

I’m adding parts for everyone to the Digikey order. Since we have 20 pcbs coming I’ll buy enough for 20 sets. Prices will be at cost of course. I’ll wear any extras.

I’ve left out all the basic headers as there are lots in the VHS set and I also have tons from China that are like 5% of the prices on Digikey.

If someone does a sparkfun order, please consider ordering thumbwheel pots for everyone (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11173), there is no matching part in stock that I can find on Digikey.

I’m not sure what to do about the hardware. It is ridiculous that they list so many suppliers for this thing, the hardware is listed from the UK and the rest from the US. Perhaps they are Australian, miles from everywhere…

We can get the hardware locally from Pacific Fasteners, I can organise this once we get closer.

3 Likes

@TomKeddie If you would like some help I can run the laser part of this workshop. Showing people how to take files from the internet, clean them up and laser cut them.

1 Like

@funvill , please please. I can only handle the electronics and the assembly sides.

1 Like

Lemme know if I can help out in any way…

What’s the ETA on the PCBs?

A month.

When you put in the servo order, can you get enough for 15 piccolos? I want 2 sets and I believe @packetbob wants 2, so I think we are at 14 confirmed sets. I will pick up the extra servos if they don’t get spoken for.

I’ll start putting together the servo order together after Christmas.

I’ll be collecting money up front. (>$300 worth of servos is more than I want to be fronting…) so it won’t be a problem figuring out how many to order.

Thanks @TomKeddie and @jon. This will be fun to build.