Packing up the bunker (Move out and clean up committee)

Hello

We need to start packing up the bunker. We might move as soon as as Dec 1st, ~15 days (two weeks). We really need to start packing up the space. We are not prepared.

Timeline
I will make a new topic about the next work day after the previous work day is done.

What you need to do NOW

• Lockers! YOU need to empty your locker. We will cut locks, We will dump your stuff in a box hopefully labeled that might/will get lost in the move. It may be smashed in to bits if we have to move it! We will do our best to contact the people that have labeled their personal items, no promises.
  • Any personal items left at the space need to taken home. Anything VHS moves to the new space will become VHS!, (Excluding; @iMakeRobots’s vending machine, @rsim’s CNC )

Things we need

We need packing supplies (ASAP)

• Boxes, - We still need more. Thank you @SDY, @wander for bringing down boxes.
  • [Done] Packing tape
  • [Done] Shrink wrap - Thank you @InezG for bringing down two large rolls. @wander for bringing down two more rolls.
  • [Done] Sharpies
  • [Done] Pallets - @garthomite has gotten all the pallets that we need. Thank you!

We need equipment (Rent, Borrow, Steal)

• [Done] Pallet Jack (Now)
  • 5 ton truck with a lift (Moving day)
  • Trucks to take garbage to the dump
  • E-Waste

Order of packing
Some tools get used often and should not be packed up immediately. We should pack these tools and equipment last if possible.

Pack last

• Tables, chairs, power cables, network equipment
  • Couches, kitchen,
  • Soldering irons
  • Manual mill, lathe, and some other basic metal working equipment like the grinder and horizontal bandsaw. @rsim

Pack now

• [Done] Electronic supplies and components, Thanks @SDY
  • Storage wall in the shop
  • Laser cutter room (We can’t use it anyways)
  • Everything!! All things !!!

Special packing

• Laser room - The laser committee needs to tell us or HELP us pack the laser room. (@rsim, @RobertButterworth, etc…)
  • [Done] ARC bench - The radio equipment needs to be packed up safety. ( @sIGNgUY, etc… )
  • [Done] 3d Printers - @ashley said he would take care of them on Nov 15th
  • The server rack. @toma
  • [Done] Black rolling cabinet with the small CNC mill @JohnC
  • [Done] Singer and Serger sewing machines, @miststlkr
  • [Done] ARC antenna on the top of the roof @toptekkie

Garbage

How to label a box
Label two sides of the box with

• Where the box came from,
  • What is inside of the box.

Other notes

• [Done] Electronics garbage will be donated to http://thehackery.ca/, They need to be contacted to arrange a pickup date.
  • The hard gray boxes are @SDY, and should be returned to him after the move.
  • On of the dolleys is @SDY, its labeled and should be returned to him after the move.
  • Tell Shaw Cable that we are moving and that they need to pick up their Shaw open router. @JohnC
  • Utilities: Gas @JohnC

This post is a wiki, @funvill will update it from the replies to this topic.

I’ll pack up the 3D printer stuff next Saturday (won’t take long) and then will start on other areas. I have emailed Michael Kessler suggesting that he take his printer home until we move into a new space.

Craigslist has a few places that are giving away pallets, just need someone with a truck to help pick them up.

I’ll check the size of my SUV, I might only be able to carry 4-5 at a time. Any idea how many we need?

I’ll be there Tuesday to take on the laser room and CNC. I want to keep the manual mill and lathe (and some other basic metal working equipment like the grinder and horizontal bandsaw) operational for a few more weeks though, as they’re (a) relatively self-contained and don’t need much packing up, and (b) I might run a last-minute class or two on their use. It’s not like we can actually move them anyway.

I’ll have insurance back on my truck tomorrow and will look for (good) free pallets in the Burnaby/New West area this week.

I’ll try to reach out to the neighbors as well; they usually throw out a ton of pallets.

Now, about that big yellow thing in the bay… ewaste? :stuck_out_tongue:

Moving truck?

Makermobile can be used to collect pallets - let me have an address and time where they can be collected

I’ll be there mid to late afternoon and I’ll bring a couple rolls of shrink wrap for the small parts bins (and whatever else). Now that we have the contents of those bins somewhat organized, it would be nice to try and keep them that way!

I’m also planning to store the sewing machines at my place, unless anyone objects. I won’t be taking them today, but either next weekend or the weekend after that.

1 Like

If anyone needs transportation of items like this and can fit in a SUV, pm me and I’ll help out

I’m out of town but will help out when I’m back next week.

Do we need packing boxes? Has the palette/palette jack situation been resolved?

First local link in google: http://www.fleetmanconsulting.com/pallet-jacks.php

Used Pallet Jacks5,500 lbs Capacity @ 24" L.C.

48" Long Forks

27" Overall Fork Width

( When Available )

$150* each* Delivery & Taxes Extra

1 Like

VHS-ARC will pack up the radio stuff on its bench to move and/or store.

I will store the tent, display board, and portable LED sign till VHS has found a new place.

sIGNgUY

Is there a chance I can use the Sewing machine(s) today? Or is all hell breaking loose down there?

You should come down and help pack!

The word from Inez right now is that they are available for use until next week.

isvhsopen.com shows “closed”. Is/will somebody be there?

Thanks for mentioning that. It’s broken!

Now we know.

But yeah, we’re open, everyone come down and help pack stuff up.

Someone will get on fixing that, I’m sure

Too late for me for today. Any packing going on tomorrow, Wed?

Hello all

We did about ~4 hours of packing today. Mostly focusing on the stuff that is not used that often. We only had three pallets so we stopped after we filled them up. We also went out of our way NOT to throw anything out into the trash. We also took down two of the nokia desks to make room for the pallets. Still a lot of work to be done.

People that helped pack up during the day were: @funvill, @Jarrett, @InezG, @SDY, @rsim, @TyIsI, @jon Did I forget anyone else?

I hope to get a moving truck with a lift on the day of the move.

Awesome! The shrink wrap helped a lot

I think our friend at shaw will be dropping of a bunch of uniform same size boxes over the next week. I wouldn’t worry too much about boxes right now.

We still need a palettes and pallet jack. I would love to borrow one over buying one. I don’t want to have to store it after we move.

Woot, We didn’t touch the radio stuff today. Thanks for taking care of it and the other stuff.

Its still accessible and usable

3 Likes

Speaking of Shaw, lets make sure we give 30 days notice to Shaw Cable so we don’t end up paying extra, they will want to retrieve the Shaw Open gear too.

2 Likes