My Monday update is less cool than I’d hoped for, NOT due to a lack of results. We simply ran out of time due to a busy weekend.
Part of the push to resurrect this oscilloscope is because we’re developing a new class on oscilloscope best practice (operation, maintenance and safety). So Friday evening I spent the night assembling the GPIB interface, one of our members (Mel) had steered us towards this one http://egirland.blogspot.ca/2014/03/arduino-uno-as-usb-to-gpib-controller.html
Then Saturday we did a dry run on the course. We use 3 scopes, a digital scope, an older analog scope with a CRT display, and a battery operated portable scope. After giving us a couple of hours of instruction, Mike (both the wizard who repairs scopes and our instructor) set us up with a series of “posers” where we needed to figure out not only what was going on in the circuit, but why in most cases we couldn’t read anything on the scope.
We learned quite a bit about what works in the class, and we’ll most likely break it up into a 2 or 3 day class as it was quite long. But the main reason I wanted to mention it to you guys was because Mike referenced your Rigol scope wiki regarding precautions while operating the machine.
We’ll be offering this class in the near future to the public, but if you’d like to see photos of what we were doing you can check them out on our Facebook page (under FVMakers).
Mike is back at the repair but we don’t have the GPIB fully functional yet. We’ve also got more questions than answers at this point, so I will post as soon as we make a discovery. This evening we should probably have the GPIB up and running and it’ll expose a lot.