November 1, 2014 Class: Programming 101 with Arduino and LEDs

What
Learn the basics of programming AND a bit about Arduino AND feel the dopamine rush of making electric rainbow colored fire light!

We’ll be using the same kind of lights that are in one panel of our giant wall of LEDs. That’s 64 LEDs. If you already have the LEDs and power supply from our group buy then you can attend for free.

When
November 1, 2014 (Saturday) @ 13:00. See your job for registration deadline.

Who
Anyone! You? YOU. Max 10 people.

Where
VHS main room

How
…much: $75 for the LEDs + power supply you get to keep! $30 Arduino UNOs are available from the vending machine.
If you already have the LEDs and power supply from our group buy then you can attend for free.

…long: 2-3h, based on interest.

Your job
RSVP to this thread so people can count how many spaces are left.
Register on or before October 25, 2014.
Contact dan through https://www.marginallyclever.com to register.

You must provide your own laptop and a USB A to B cable like so: https://www.marginallyclever.com/shop/cables/usb-cable-a-male-to-b-male-1.5m.

3 Likes

Sounds awesome, where do I sign up?

updated post with more info. thanks!

RSVPing (sent you a message through your contact form too).

I sent you a note via your web page…
Count me in…

RSVPing

Good. Now follow the rest of the instructions and complete your journey to the dark side of the force.

RSVPing :slight_smile: looking forward to it!

Am going to be putting on a similar workshop for Scouts in my area (Surrey/Delta).

Just wondering what type of LED’s you’re using and which library (I couldn’t find details on the VHS web site).

In my case, I’m using WS2812B LED strips along with the FastLED library running on an Arduino Nano.

Update:

The LEDs and the power supplies have been ordered. They both promise less than two weeks delivery time so they should be here well before the class.

I should be hitting VHS around 9am nov1 to setup and make sure everything is a go. If you would like to show up early and meet 3d printer people, maybe we can convince them they need more color on their machines. LEDs that light up to show how soon the print will start. I dunno.

1 Like

I’m in as well.

There are still 6 seats left.

@Johnny5 - we’re justing the same WS2811 LEDs that are in the big wall o lights.

In this class we’ll all get Arduino software set up on our computers (~30 minutes) and then

• cover a bit about what arduino does and why it’s so great
  • run a basic hello world sketch and learn about methods
  • learn about the power supply and how to connect the LED strip
  • load the first LED demo sketch and see some color
  • light one light at a time while learning about variables
  • make patterns of lights with loops and arrays
  • use methods and the serial port to dynamically change lights
  • free play + q&a time. People are also invited to reprogram the wall o lights.

Do you have the dimensions of the white backerboard you have used for the wall project?
And the hole size and grid layout?
I’d like to bring a piece of coroplast with me to the class so I can mount the leds…
So I need to know the hole size and such…

Bob

I have two pieces of corroplast. I will laser them both for whomever wants. I have cardboard for the rest.

I would love one of the pieces of corroplast…

I will take the other if possible. Thanks!

RSVPing.

Inez

rsvp is space is still left

There are currently 2 seats left.

One! One seat left! Ah Ah Ah…