Nonprofit tour / soldering workshop

I am part of the group of volunteer organizers for NetSquared Vancouver (www.net2van.ca), which connects nonprofits to tech skills. We are planning an event last week of September, more of a social, but are thinking of bringing them by VHS before the pints to learn more about the space.

Would like to do the VHS soldering boards ala Vancouver Mini Makerfaire with people that come. Hands on fun that is safe.

To whom should I reimburse for these boards and components? Is there a guide for the build / components list?

I have tentatively added to calendar for Fri Sept 29 5:30-7:30.

1 Like

Thanks @xquared found this guide in Slack ( Slack)

1 Like

At VMMF we sell the kits for 5 dollars each. Sending you more info in PM.

2 Likes

That is excellent! Glad you can use the kits. How many people are you thinking? We have enough irons/stations for about 10 people I think. They were recently sorted out for maker faire so should be in good shape.

The one page how to solder comic is also really handy. We should have print outs of all these things at the space in a big red binder - which would save you having to reprint.

2 Likes

I can’t take credit for the instruction, I just updated it from previous years

1 Like

I think it will be 20-25, but people can take turns. Kust getting back from camping will be catching up with those co-conspirators this week and will know more. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, date has moved to Thursday Sept 28! Updated the calendar!

1 Like

Updated this on Meetup

2 Likes

Just a heads up I will be running this event at VHS on Thursday this week:

I have 41 people RSVPed on Meetup, but that really likely means 20 - 25 given my history with these things. I will come early in the day and assemble a bunch of kits. People are welcome to join in, I’m charging $5 at door but that’s just to cover the parts back to VHS.

I’m going to bring an extra 5 irons / stands, baggies for the builds – will likely kit up 50 builds if we have that many to make it easier for the next person.

5 Likes

Hey Chad - that’s awesome! Thanks for making this happen. If any of the irons give you trouble there is some tip cleaner in the solder supplies box. Glad you can bring extra irons as I think our hakkos aren’t in such good shape right now.

1 Like

we have a bunch of irons packed away, realistically, we probably don’t have deskspace for more than 10 or 12 people working on their badge at the same time. esp given some people will be mingling around.
i am not sure if @Majicj is free. He gave an excellent demo on SMD soldering with paste stencil last time we ran a workshop.

1 Like

Left you a box of presents.

it’s under the shelf behind the crafting table.

1 Like

@xquared you good peoples!

1 Like

Sorry I can’t make this Thursday. Perhaps @Janet might be able to help out with the stencils?

1 Like

This is a through-hole build right? No stencils needed. Oh derp - sorry - I’m guessing people are looking for a demo while they are milling around? Sorry - not free on Thursday. Also I have the stencil with me.

You could also just reflow a scrap board in the oven to demo it.

1 Like

Yes all through hole. Should be good but if there are hands around great, but I can manage and have a couple people coming to help with logistics. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey event went well. Big thanks to @DerrickA4mag (think that is right handle) for showing up and helping out, @TyIsI for prepping /crowdsourcing the packing of so many kits, and @packetbob for bringing in 3 built LipSyncs. Gives me all the feels. Posted some pics of the 12 non-profit peeps that learned to solder to the insta and tweetiverse.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.