New mounting mechanism for HMD

i want HMD (Head Mounted Display) to have around 30,000 nits of screen brightness, 240 Degree of FOV, i have other features in my list as well but i digress, partially because this 30,000 nits of screen brightness and the FOV is what matters the most for this post.

but this features comes with the huge footprint of the device, mainly because heatsink of that LED backlit has to be big in order to reasonably cool them. i guess i can try to craft entire device with aluminum that can also act as some sort of heatsink. still, it’s gonna be heavy and thick,
basically i’m going the opposite direction from any major company’s agenda such as meta or bigscreen.

but for me, visual system is way more important than a footprint of overall device.
and i also think we can’t build the HMD so small and light AND has a Great Vision system like 10,000 nits brightness. with the current tech. you can’t have a cake and eat it too.

and if i want to use them outside, what mounting mechanism should they have to not break my neck?
(headset target weight is around 3KG, without battery :), battery should be separate from the headset)

so what if i make a dual gimbal system with machine learning embedded?
your not putting them on top of your head, and getting all the weight. but make the headset come to you! with the machine learning and some basic haptic sensor in the headset, they can follow your head movement. plus you look like a sick cyberpunk(or lunatic).

and when your getting them off, they folded kinda like this on the left side.
of course this is just a concept for now, but eager to see in reality later when i’m getting good enough technically to be able to actually make them…

1 Like

Sounds like the problem you’re trying to solve is ergonomics. I found a few studies on this:
https://scholar.google.ca/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&as_vis=1&q=head+mounted+display+weight+ergonomics

What other industries using head mounted displays are facing the same problem as you, have sufficient resources to throw at the problem, and what kind of solutions have they developed so far?

One type of situation that fits this category is in robotic surgery, where the surgeon might be wearing one of these for extremely long periods of time.

Alternatively if you’re using this outdoors I wonder if you could just tie a big helium balloon to it with a string to make the whole rig neutrally buoyant?

If you’re using this mostly stationary then weight might be the main factor for ergonomics. If you’re going to be in motion when using this then inertia becomes a bigger factor.

1 Like

i don’t have sufficient knowledge on HMD for robotic surgeon per say, but seems so far they don’t desire as much brightness as i want to have. or the priority is not as high. above 10,000 nits that is, which is the major cause for the size and the weight to HMD.

as for other’s effort, the traditional VR headset player such as Meta, HTC, or Apple is come to mind.

but I don’t agree with the approach that any of them is taking.

proper Center of mass, reducing the overall weight is indeed ideal.

but at what cost? IMO we just don’t have a sufficient tech to have it both ways.

and those companies are going too far in the pursuit of slim and light device.

outputting a 300 nits of brightness after optics when you’re using a 5,000 nit Panel??? but still aren’t able to get rid of the neck fatigue? (Apple Vision Pro)(https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/apr/10/apple-vision-pro-can-be-pain-neck/#:~:text=Neck%20strain%20also%20appeared%20in,about%2010%20to%2011%20pounds[.](https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/apr/10/apple-vision-pro-can-be-pain-neck/#:~:text=Neck%20strain%20also%20appeared%20in,about%2010%20to%2011%20pounds.))

you have to know that these companies want you to wear THAT basically all day…….

i think the good starting point for HMD is setting a best vision system possible as a top priority. probably going be a stationary with monitor arm supported. no putting them on.

helium ballon could work given enough helium, but i’m worrying the total size of that device would be even more ridiculous….

and i didn’t thought of the inertia….that would be tricky to mitigate……but this is why i think active electrical gimbal system on custom vest is the solution. if someone is THAT MUCH want to use them on the go that is. (i do lol)

at least vest is better than developing a disk on my neck.

1 Like

Is it simply brightness you need to increase?

Fibre optics, attach the source to your chest

3 Likes

maybe i can place the extra LED off from the headset, and let each user choose how bright the screen they want it to be with the fiber optics. But their flexibility might be the problem :confused:

OLEDs probably won’t hit your desired spec for brightness, but they might be good enough, especially in a prototype?

they have great size to performance ratio indeed, even in terms of brightness compare to LCD, but i hate the PWM(Pulse-Width Modulation)…they produce noticeably more strain to my eye… and besides, i can switch the backlit LED of the LCD panel DIY style into 200W bunkers if i want to lol

Why do you want 10,000 nits? That’s a lot of light to shine into the eyes, and without additional signal processing, you are not going to produce a good image.

You may want to look at https://www.researchgate.net/publication/332675524_Displaying_detail_in_bright_environments_A_10000_nit_display_and_its_evaluation

in my opinion, the brightness should be as bright as possible while just below the point of harming users eye for the best visual experience. but i didn’t think of degrading image quality when just cranking up the brightness of the LED backlight. upcoming challenge registered lol