Hey everyone! I’m Lo, I’m a woodworker by trade and probably like most of you, looking for an affordable work space with cool people. I tried out makerlabs and didn’t love the vibe so here I am now! I started my membership three weeks ago but haven’t had a chance to come in yet but plan to come on Tuesday. If anyone out there wants to swap skills, I’d love to learn some metal working and electronic type skills! And in the meantime if there’s any “doing” that’s needed around the space let me know, I like to keep busy :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome to the community! Any help on organizing/tidying the woodshop would be appreciated. Stayed for future posts about woodshop work parties on Wednesday nights!

2 Likes

Welcome!

The woodshop is functional for lots of basic things, but there are lots of things that need improving, sharpening, fixing, organizing. Here’s a thread for some of those things.

1 Like

@locatalano great to have you at VHS! Keep an eye out for some electronics workshops for members coming up soon. I’ll post more details on talk. Cheers!

Welcome @Locatalano to the space!

Welcome @Locatalano,

You’ve joined at a good time. Early this year we moved into this new space, and we’ve got a lot (compared to our last space) of floor area for our woodshop (and everything else).

What does need doing is a bit of organizing and getting things easy to use. We don’t have any tool walls for instance, so setting things up so that people can find what they are looking for will make using the woodshop much easier.

There’s also a little bit of deferred maintenance on some tools, but we are starting to get caught up on that as people chip in.

But since the shop is in such flux, I encourage you to come down and help figure out what should be done. It is as much your shop as it is the next person, so if you see something obvious to be done, please chip in!

The best way to get some cross training is to ask :). Ask what someone is working on, ask for the sort of shop night you want, etc.

The best way to have content at the space is to create it. Even though you are new to the space, I encourage you to host a theme night or a class. Those are great at getting people together and building community. The only caveat there is you’ll need someone to open the space for you until you apply to become a key holder, but hosting events is a great way to find people to vouch for you when you apply.

VHS is a very flat organization. The directors are only directors because someone has to sign papers here and there and some of the poorly recognized dirty work (thank you BOD). Beyond that, we are a rag-tag group of people who like making things, like sharing what we make. Our community comes first, and I’m happy to be able to welcome you into it. You seem to have shown up with a very compatible sort of mantra!

See you soon!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.