New Laser Cutter Material Request

Hi,

I’m looking to cut some patterns out for some chairs that I’m making. The fabric is a polyester 70%/acrylic 30% blend.

Looking for approval to start cutting this. Please see test report below.

1 Like

Thank you for submitting your request. The LCC will look into this.

I’ve attached a photo of material for reference.

It may not exist but If you can find a MSDS for this product that would be helpful. Also any links to other laser cutters cutting this or similar material will also help the LCC to make a decision.

1 Like

Unfortunately MSDS is not standard for fabrics. This is not a requirement we have at work.

Here is a link on laser cutting fabrics. It does mention polyester but not acrylic.

2 Likes

Hi LCC,

Any update on this request? Thanks.

Brian

I’ve cut polyester felt on the laser no problem. Does the “felt” aspect of the material make a difference?

Hi Brian.

I got in to VHS today to some test cuts of your material.

Material did not catch fire and seems to cut cleanly with little or no residue left on the cutting surface. It was somewhat smoky inside the laser but it cleared quickly and was not noticeably “smelly” in the space with my limited tests. There was a smell in the cut material afterwards which if it does not fade might be unpleasant for the final use as upholstery.

I used the settings for Felt in the Laser Materials doc. I did one cut using 7 speed and 50 power so it was slow and lots of power to see if the material would catch fire. It did not.

The LCC will give this a provisional approval. The laser cutter must be always be attended to while cutting this material. i.e. no stepping away for 30 seconds etc.

Mark

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.