New 3D Printer use. Solving dead areas for WiFi

I strongly suspect that taking your time to make the foil as smooth as possible would improve the quality of the signal.

1 Like

It probably doesn’t need to be very smooth. WiFi, depending on the technology, uses 60mm or 120mm wavelengths. Those wrinkles will be less than 1/100 of the wavelength, so they shouldn’t have an influence. Getting the shape right is the tricky part. Antenna design isn’t trivial.

1 Like

I would start with a few WiFi SSM’s, spread them around the house (target locations) and then experiment for a day of so. A sheet of foil held up by two sticks, themselves stuck into globs of plasticine. Move 'em sticks and map the response at the target locations. Eventually you’d get a sense of it and would start optimizing, me think.

And I certainly would not worry about the legality of the set-up, there is no way you would get any kind of gain that would suddenly put your registered/tested WiFi router in the Canadian-FCC-equivalent’s bad book. Plenty of losses, but gain? Nay. Targeting is the objective.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.