Mystery LED String?

I was at the Space and saw these LED strings…

They looked like they were 3 wire addressable devices possibly ws2811 based…
Figured I could hook them up to a controller running WLED and hang them in the front windows…
But they don’t seem to like the WS2811 protocol…

They are setup like the serial addressable LED (each module has an In and an Out)
They are 12V (each module has a 5V regulator)
Rather than the expected WS2811 chip they seem to have a Microchip 16F506 processor…
Wondered if anyone was aware of these and what protocol was used to drive them…

3 Likes

I’d probably go down this list and try all of the three wire protocols. Pretty old school to have a whole microcontroller for each LED, neat.

2 Likes

Good idea…
They are kinda old school so may even predate the various WS28xx protocols…

2 Likes

No luck with any of the signals I can generate with FastLed or the NeoPixel library…
Also tried all the options with a semi-commercial pixel controller (SanDevices E6804)…
Thinking it’s a old commercial product that used a proprietary controller (probably took DMX into the controller) and a proprietary protocol to control the LED modules…
Will keep trying…

1 Like

Awesome. I love experiments like this. Looking forward to seeing you crack it/get it working.

I have one of those strings new in their box. I got it at IKEA several years ago. I’ll check if there is a controller on my box.

2 Likes

Mine is monochrome, so can’t help you. However, I found this:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01N52925W

If you give up trying to figure out the protocol, let me give it a try. This would be fun :slight_smile:

Looks like these are most likely a proprietary system that most likely predate any of the current Pixel protocols…
I do like the form factor and my rebuild them using two of these in each pod:

Will use the same wire as it forms part of the system to hold the pod together:

2 Likes

You do have a PIC programmer. Just sayin’…

ya…

briefly thought about that but don’t really feel like spending days trying to disassembly code for a protocol that i have no specs or example of to save myself hours or work to just replace em with WS2811…

not to mention that there are only about 30 lights and i may never see anymore like this…

and the fact i have no skills in PIC assembly coding…
or coding what so ever…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.